HL or SL Physics, and Stress

Which is advisable?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. SL or HL?

• SL
    • HL

Hello there. I am going to start the IB Diploma, and have chosen the following: HL-Physics, Chemistry and Geography, with SL - English, Math (not studies) and SpanishAb.

During the MYP, we did not cover much of Physics, which has led me to be rather nervous of the HL Physics. What are the major differences between the HL and SL Physics classes? Should I change my classes to a HL English and SL Physics instead? Will this help relieve the stress added by CAS, EE and TOK?

I am grateful for any advice at all.

There is no stress added by CAS, EE and TOK

You may do your EE in the summer and that will remove the stress.

You should make 2 hours for CAS every week or maybe more as you wish.

And I advise Physics HL because its not the different from Physics SL and will not bother you with the other subjects. Maybe 1 hour a day after school to revise what you studied in that lesson. Most of the stuff you do in HL are studied by SL. Will not most of it, but a lot, which makes it no difference. But your maths need to be good.Chemistry SL and HL is much of a difference. A huge gap. If you want to change one from HL to SL. I prefer chemistry over physics. Physics is easier than chem. And SL chemistry is easier than SL physics.

So make the English HL and pull down chemistry. Thats what I think is better.

I pulled dropped my chemistry HL into SL and changed Arabic to be HL..

And I advise Physics HL because its not the different from Physics SL and will not bother you with the other subjects. Maybe 1 hour a day after school to revise what you studied in that lesson. Most of the stuff you do in HL are studied by SL. Will not most of it, but a lot, which makes it no difference. But your maths need to be good.Chemistry SL and HL is much of a difference. A huge gap. If you want to change one from HL to SL. I prefer chemistry over physics. Physics is easier than chem. And SL chemistry is easier than SL physics.

All the teachers in my school seem to think otherwise, as they say that HL and SL Chem are rather similar, where as HL and SL Physics seem to be far apart in terms of difficulty and content.

:blink:

All the teachers in my school seem to think otherwise, as they say that HL and SL Chem are rather similar, where as HL and SL Physics seem to be far apart in terms of difficulty and content.

Ask any IB Diploma student and will tell that the difference between chem HL and SL is huge, but physics is the opposite not a big gap between them. Physics higher is a bit in detail and you need to know mathematics. SL is enough, Basic calculus only.

If you look at a chem book companion(HL and SL) together, you will see that most pages of the book says it is for higher level. And higher level stuff are harder than the stuff in physics. Confusing stuff.. my friends who take physics and chem HL,or biology got better marks in bio and physics instead of chemistry. They said it is confusing. And they always tell us - SL class- lucky... So I think you should consider dropping Chem to SL instead of physics.

Look at the posts where they ask physics or chemistry in general discussion. You will see most of the replies are in favour of physics HL over chemistry HL

oh, so you could this is a recommendation.

And I ignored what you want to study in university. If you chemical engineering, I think you should stick with chem HL, but if you mechanical or any other engineering I think Physics would be much better as a HL. As it is recommended in every engineering program.

MR.AHM is correct. The jump from SL Chem to HL Chem is SO much bigger than from SL to HL Physics. If you want to drop a science to SL, make it Chemistry. While there is still a bit of a gap between SL and HL Physics, it's more to do with difficulty rather than content, I believe. It's very possible to do HL though. I went into the IBD with no previous knowledge of physics. Insane, right? :P But it's doable :)

from my personal experience, from what my teachers and people say, I think it's the other way round. you shouldn't worry too much about physics although you'll need to be smart and analytical especially with the mathematical aspect.

if you want to play safe take 4 HL first (with physics and english) and then after a few months you drop the one you feel more difficult.

then you are not a real IB student. those 3 sh!ts do ADD A LOT OF STRESS!!!

feel like swearing at you for saying that!

then you are not a real IB student. those 3 sh!ts do ADD A LOT OF STRESS!!!

feel like swearing at you for saying that!

To me I have no stress whatsoever from CAS or EE, I finished over 350 hours of CAS in my first year and in the second year I will do one activity only which is gonna be soccer and I will write journals about it. And It will be for the whole year until I finish my 18 months requirement.

And my EE was in Arabic, my first language. And I am very good at Arabic, and know a lot about the topic I was going to write. And finished 3700 words for the first draft in two days. Just left with the abstract and conclusion and some moderation and then I will be done with it

Regarding my TOK, I chose my titles for the essay and presentation. Started to make notes on them. Thanks to IB Survival for some ideas :angel:

I relieved this stress because I devoted my summer which gonna end this Saturday to finish my EE and making notes in TOK titles. And finished my CAS evaluations etc...

I didn't find any stress at all. Maybe because I only focus in two subjects only and the others seems easy to me.

And to be relevant to what the topic is actually on. If didn't drop Chemistry HL to SL I wouldn't be able to do all of this. My friends said they've got two chapters self-study. and to finish their IA which they couldn't finish in the academic year. In contrast to physics, I was able to finish my IAs easily and in the class we finished the topics required to study. But they just gave us one easy chapter to self-study in the summer. Even though I got A* in chemistry IGCSE, I feel I would've been scr**ed very much if I took it as HL.