IA ideas on plants?

bddomin

I am doing biology, but why don't do your experiment about how does the change in the light frequencey affect the grow of a specific plant. You can find the plant as you are the biologist.

But change light frequency by using filters (blue, green, yellow etc...)

You can search more about that in the internet. I hope this is useful

Edited by MR.AHM
  • Like 1

You can experiment on various factors that might affect the growth of plants/seeds.

These might include:

• Light
    • Light intensity on growth
    • Direction of Light on the way plants grow
    • Colour of light on growth/ photosynthesis

[*]Germination of seeds

• Milk
    • Salinity
    • Sucrose solutions
  • Fertilisers
  • Acidity of water

• Like 1

You can experiment on various factors that might affect the growth of plants/seeds.

These might include:

• Light
    • Light intensity on growth
    • Direction of Light on the way plants grow
    • Colour of light on growth/ photosynthesis

[*]Germination of seeds

• Milk
    • Salinity
    • Sucrose solutions
  • Fertilisers
  • Acidity of water

I think it is better to do it about light, the third one

the colour of light which is the frequency and wavelength of light that is varied.

And the plant which is useful for this experiment is Elodea. I think you have learned it in a biology class.

Also, I think Acidity of water would be interesting. And think the others will take a longer time and harder than the light experiment.

Edited by MR.AHM
  • Like 1

My advice would be to to pick a variable that you think would be very easy to control. In my biology class, out of all the IAs we did, generally we found that the amount of errors in the data that occurred in our plant pracs compared to any other were ridiculous and resulted in about 75% of us fudging our data otherwise it was hopeless. It was only the simple pracs that actually worked well and they were the ones where proper data was actually usable.

Also, if possible try to choose a topic which can be conducted quickly such as something to do with the germinations of seeds. There is nothing worse than waiting 4-6 weeks for plants to grow like what happen to me and then figure out everything has gone wrong. At least germination is rather quick meaning not to much time needs to be invested into looking after them and because of the short time it is very easy to repeat if necessary.

Not sure if this will help much but I hope it does.

• Like 1

Guest KAPOWW!!

I'm required to do my 2nd Bio IA on plants, but I'm not sure where to start off. Any ideas?

Plants...plants..plants. I'll have you know that there are infinite IAs an EEs too on plants, so don't worry.

IAs

Here's a way of approaching it, look at this diagram of a plant. Now choose it part you think you want to work with in your IA.

2) Once you choose the part I suggest you revisit anything you found curious about that part, a weird adaptation, efficiency of functioning, structure etc. Eg Variegated leaves, waxy cuticles, the green color density on rate of photosynthesis.

3) Do some google searches, read Wiki pages or just surf National Geographic or Practical fishkeeping. You find that they'll supply you with additional information or inspiration for an IA

4)Choose it an go ahead with it

Now I'm telling you think so that you have the ability to get you own IA ideas in the future and aren't dependant on anything or anyone. This whole process takes 30 mins tops. So try it, all the best. :D