History EE : Germans And Anti-semitism

Pineapples

Hi, My question is along the lines of how did hitler persuade germans to support the jewish genocide and keep quiet about it. But I want to find more than just a simple answer like media and propaganda. However, I can't seem to find a good lead on the internet. I tried to research about the roots of anti-semitism in germany, but I haven't had much luck with that so far. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Can you offer a more concise RQ? You have to make sure your topic is actually possible to be researched. I'm sure you can get a LOT into media and propaganda alone, such as the state of the nation, background information, Hitler's mindset etc etc. You should be able to dig deeper with the basic topics that are already grasped.

But I do not want to focus on the media and propaganda of the Holocaust, instead I want to focus on other elements that caused the German people to follow Hitler. I'm sure that the Germans didn't just stand by and watch millions of Jewish people die just because Hitler was a charismatic speaker. I want to find the reason why many of the residents of Germany supported Hitler. I know that anti-semitism has been evident long before the Holocaust, but I can't find a lot of information about that either, so if anyone has any reliable sources they know of, please let me know.

I don't really think if you know this and I'd bet you're taking History as a subject. The germans didn't really know that a massive genocide was happening under Hitler's control, in fact the propaganda shown in Germany during that time showed completely an opposite thing. Hypothetically, Jews were being taken to comfortable concentration camps, places where they could live happily and fulfill all of their necessities without any kind of problems. I may emphasize once again that you are mistaken under the premise that your EE is based on, that's one of the reasons why you don't find sources on why did the germans supported the jew genocide and anti-semitism. There was off course a noticeable disdain towards this community and that can be shown by the night of the broken glasses but the population itself was not informed of the massive masacres happening in the "comfortable concentration camps". You may want to change your EE topic or reformulate a whole different question with another meaning that doesn't imply that germans supported Hitler and just stood by and watched millions of Jew People die, because once again... they didn't knew this. There was some strong anti semitism but you're just assuming something that didn't happen, off course this hate was generated by Hitler himself and his different ideologies such as the aryan race and his charisma contributed to the situation a lot but despite this, there was a clear lack of honesty in Hitler's domestic policies.

I hope you might consider all of the previous things.

Edited by Procrastination
  • Like 2

I can't say I'm one hundred percent sure but one thing is true, Germans were not informed of all of the atrocities that were happening in their control during Hitler's government. Now, I might suggest you to do an EE in a subject you're taking, in a subject in which you have certain degree of knowledge. Usually the people that do EEs on a subject they're not really taking in the IB do bad. Furthermore, you might want to infer the reasons why you can't find enough sources about the support that germans gave to the "massacre they knew was being carried on". Once again, change the topic, or even the subject... You're chances of scoring higher will increase.

As far as i know, there was anti-semitism in germany because of the affluence of the jewish community. Having said that, the german people did not know about the genocide (which actually happened during the war and not before) and were not supportive of the Nazi's treatment of jews. Thats why the nazis persecuted jewish people quietly after the Kristalnacht and decreased the amount of anti-semitic propaganda.