Switching from IB HL Math to SL?

ib2013grad

Should I take HL or SL Math?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take HL or SL Math?

Hello guys.

I am currently in the ib dp programme (year 1) and so far I have chosen Chem, Bio and Math as my HLs and Eng Lit, Chinese B and Geo as my SLs.

However, I am thinking of switching HL math to SL because it kinda seems too difficult for me. I do enjoy math but I don't absolutely LOVE it but I'm afraid that SL may seem less of a challenge for me. Last year, I took the advanced math option (where you complete gr 10 and 11 math in one year) and I got 90% (Gr. 10) and 87% (Gr.11). In university, I would like to study: sciences (possible med), psychology, humanities. So what do you guys think? Please give me some of your advice and opinions.

Oh btw, I'll be taking HL GEO instead of SL, if I do end up switching my maths. Which one do you think I'll do better in?

Thankyou.

Edited by ib2013grad

Hello guys.

I am currently in the ib dp programme (year 1) and so far I have chosen Chem, Bio and Math as my HLs and Eng Lit, Chinese B and Geo as my SLs.

However, I am thinking of switching HL math to SL because it kinda seems too difficult for me. I do enjoy math but I don't absolutely LOVE it but I'm afraid that SL may seem less of a challenge for me. Last year, I took the advanced math option (where you complete gr 10 and 11 math in one year) and I got 90% (Gr. 10) and 87% (Gr.11). In university, I would like to study: sciences (possible med), psychology, humanities. So what do you guys think? Please give me some of your advice and opinions.

Oh btw, I'll be taking HL GEO instead of SL, if I do end up switching my maths. Which one do you think I'll do better in?

Thankyou.

Definitely HL Geo. I mean, I don't take Geo myself, but I know that HL math is one of the hardest HLs. The difference in Pre-IB between the harder and easier levels of math are nothing compared to HL math vs SL math.

• Like 1

If you want to study anything related to med i advice you the following subject, taking into account that your chinese is good :

CHEM HL

BIO HL

CHINESE B HL

MATH SL

ENG SL

GEO SL

but if you want to study humanities or you are still in doubt or your chinese isn't good then this should be your subject

CHEM HL

BIO HL

GEO HL

MATH SL

ENG SL

Chinese B SL

• Like 1

Hello guys.

Thankyou.

Okay so since you said you dont love math...i would say you CAN go to SL but since you said that it wont be much of a challenge..HEY! its an easy 7=) but since you might want to study something along the lines of medicine. some universities do look for HL math but majority dont. Majority universities look for HL bio and HL chem. I think you should do a bit of research and see which universities want HL and which ones want SL then go from there because after all, it is a question of your future and there should be no comprimises. If the unis you (might)want to go to dont need math at HL, i say stick to SL because a 7 in that subject will help you alot :)

In the end, its all up to you..so just think carefully, just do alot of research on universities and all. Should help you clear your head and make your decision. GOOD LUCK!! xx

• Like 1

I definitely agree with King inm Glau...

You should take Maths as SL as it is not required in the univeristy as HL in the courses you want to study. Except for London College of Commerce which is asking for a 7 in Math HL :blink:

You are saying that you are good at maths and doing two years in one and getting 90% is pretty impressive. So if you take Maths SL, your chances of getting a 7 will be high. You can score more by having Maths SL instead of HL.

But you can consider this option too. Take four subjects as HL in the first few months

Like Chem,bio,maths and Geo/Chinese B

Overall, I think its better as a standard level. (NOT studies)

Good luck !!

:)

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! :) I really appreciate it. Well for unis, I plan on going to Canada or the US, maybe even Hong Kong? I'm afraid that if I end up taking Geo HL, all my higher levels will be all science related - and maybe its not broad enough?? Also, in my school, we aren't allowed to have 4 higher levels... but anyhow, in my current geo class, HL and SL is put together in a class :)

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! :) I really appreciate it. Well for unis, I plan on going to Canada or the US, maybe even Hong Kong? I'm afraid that if I end up taking Geo HL, all my higher levels will be all science related - and maybe its not broad enough?? Also, in my school, we aren't allowed to have 4 higher levels... but anyhow, in my current geo class, HL and SL is put together in a class :)

Hi

I am not saying you take four HL subjects for the whole IB diploma course. just few months to see which is hard and can you survive maths HL with Chem and BIO HL..

Because I think maths HL and Chem HL are hell when they are together. But if one of them is HL and the other is SL its fine.

Well Geography could be considered as a humanity and a science at the same time. So you should make your mind from now for which department you are interested in "Science" or "Humanities"... and I prefer you as King inm glau said. The best combination of subjects.

I take HL math and let me tell you: it's a bitch. I was just like you, got straight A's for all my math tests so I decided to take HL math. And now I'm failing. I mean, you can always try and drop down (which is what I might be doing)so by all means go for it. just take into account that's it's really really hard. I guess the annoying part for me is that SL is not much of a challenge and HL is too hard. You may find that too. Also know that if you take HL math, most of your time will go into that. As a rule of thumb: for every hour of math in school, one hour of homework (not taking into account revision and studying for tests). hope that helped!

Take SL Maths. Save yourself the trouble and bother and stress. Even if you're good at maths, why not get an easy 7 in SL? Especially if you don't NEED HL Maths for anything. HL Maths is the hardest IB subject, taken by only those who REALLY REALLY love maths, or need it. SL is a lot easier :)

You're already doing a broader range of subjects altogether than other people who are doing A Levels or other national qualifications, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about studying all science-related subjects at HL.

If you find HL Maths too demanding, I say drop to SL. With the courses you're considering you won't be disadvantaged if you don't do HL Maths. Do keep HL Maths though if you think you might want to consider doing Maths, Physics or Economics at university.

I can understand how you feel about Maths right now. I'm doing HL Maths myself, and I'm not doing too well either. Like you, I really enjoy maths and I did an 'Additional Maths' course before IB. From the grades I was getting, I was convinced that I was pretty good at Maths. But HL Maths turned out to be more demanding than I'd thought. The truth is, the jump in difficulty between pre-IB courses (like the GCSEs or other secondary education qualifications) is huge, especially for Maths. My advice for you would be to drop SL Maths if you don't think you'll be able to manage the subject at HL, especially since you're so early into the program. My HL Maths grade is the only grade I'm not happy about right now (see my signature), but I can't drop to SL anymore because I'm sitting my exams in May next year. At the end of the day universities look at your predicted and final IB score, so you should try to get as many points as possible by switching to SL. I don't do Geography, but I think you'd be able to score much higher in Geo than in Maths ;)

Thanks for the replies :)

To ninety: I am almost 85% sure that I would not be taking physics or majoring in maths or economics at university. I am more interested in chem, bio or med, minoring in psychology and maybe even astronomy. I plan to study mostly in Canada or the U.S (maybe HK). In some more selective schools, would you think that a 7 in SL math or a 5 or 6 in HL math would look better?? Do you have any friends that take both Geo HL and Maths HL? Would you mind asking them which one is easier to get a 7 in ? Thanks :)

To ninety: I am almost 85% sure that I would not be taking physics or majoring in maths or economics at university. I am more interested in chem, bio or med, minoring in psychology and maybe even astronomy. I plan to study mostly in Canada or the U.S (maybe HK). In some more selective schools, would you think that a 7 in SL math or a 5 or 6 in HL math would look better?? Do you have any friends that take both Geo HL and Maths HL? Would you mind asking them which one is easier to get a 7 in ? Thanks :)

In my school there are only 4 people taking maths HL in my class including me. I am the only one who passed the end of year exam. But in Geology many people got 5 and 6. So I think Geology is way easier.

In the beginning I thought it was a rhetorical question, because it is definitely maths HL :P

As I said before, universities tend to look more at your IB score. What universities usually look at first is your IB score, then the subjects you've taken (unless particular subjects are required). Getting a 7 in SL Maths would wow the universities more than getting a 5~6 in HL Maths, because you'd have a higher IB score overall. See, the problem with universities is that they don't understand the IB diploma well (or, well, you could say the problem with IB is that it's not properly understood by universities). For example, all IB students (well, okay, most) know that the HL Maths and HL Chemistry are two of the toughest subjects, so having HL Maths on your IB diploma would wow other IB students. But universities don't know that HL Maths and HL Chemistry are considered hard subjects, so they wouldn't care. If I were you, I'd concern myself more with getting the highest overall IB score as possible, and not whether taking a subject at HL or SL would look good to universities ;)

And no, I don't think I have friends who take both Geo and Maths at HL. I could ask around for you, though. But I think if you went around your school and asked other IB students, most would tell you that it's easier to get a 7 in HL Geography than in HL Maths.

I'm afraid that SL may seem less of a challenge for me.

what the duck??! why the freak would you want to get more challenged??????? the IB programme itself is already challenging, do NOT challenge yourself even further!!

I say drop Maths HL. from the way you wrote, you're not "the Maths HL type". I'm sorry if it makes you down or something but I'm just very blunt like that. a real Maths HL student wouldn't ever consider dropping Maths to a lower level. you considered dropping, which means you don't have the confidence and courage to take HL. they ARE necessary. for you, to survive.

if in the beginning you're already afraid like this, believe me, in the middle of IB or maybe a few months ahead I bet you'll drop Maths HL and take up Geo HL. which I think is just the same as switching subjects now except you'll have to catch up with Geo a little bit.

I honestly would say it's subjective which one from Maths and Geo would be easier. but from the way you wrote and what you said, I think you do not like Geo very much either (am I right?). do you have any other choices such as Econ or History? and isn't it very clear that Geo fall under the Humanities group? I never considered Geo under the Natural Sciences -______-

oh btw another reason why I think you're not the "Maths HL type" is because you take Bio and Chem instead of Physics and Chem. I know this is very stereotypical but Bio students tend to be awesome at memorisation more than at calculation.

what's holding you back? why do you still want to stick with Maths HL? if the pro is less than the con, just drop. think wisely.

As I said before, universities tend to look more at your IB score. What universities usually look at first is your IB score, then the subjects you've taken (unless particular subjects are required). Getting a 7 in SL Maths would wow the universities more than getting a 5~6 in HL Maths, because you'd have a higher IB score overall. See, the problem with universities is that they don't understand the IB diploma well (or, well, you could say the problem with IB is that it's not properly understood by universities). For example, all IB students (well, okay, most) know that the HL Maths and HL Chemistry are two of the toughest subjects, so having HL Maths on your IB diploma would wow other IB students. But universities don't know that HL Maths and HL Chemistry are considered hard subjects, so they wouldn't care. If I were you, I'd concern myself more with getting the highest overall IB score as possible, and not whether taking a subject at HL or SL would look good to universities ;)

And no, I don't think I have friends who take both Geo and Maths at HL. I could ask around for you, though. But I think if you went around your school and asked other IB students, most would tell you that it's easier to get a 7 in HL Geography than in HL Maths.

Thank you! You've been a great help :) I've decided to switch to SL math now and geo to HL. thank you!!!!

I'm afraid that SL may seem less of a challenge for me.

what the duck??! why the freak would you want to get more challenged??????? the IB programme itself is already challenging, do NOT challenge yourself even further!!

I say drop Maths HL. from the way you wrote, you're not "the Maths HL type". I'm sorry if it makes you down or something but I'm just very blunt like that. a real Maths HL student wouldn't ever consider dropping Maths to a lower level. you considered dropping, which means you don't have the confidence and courage to take HL. they ARE necessary. for you, to survive.

if in the beginning you're already afraid like this, believe me, in the middle of IB or maybe a few months ahead I bet you'll drop Maths HL and take up Geo HL. which I think is just the same as switching subjects now except you'll have to catch up with Geo a little bit.

I honestly would say it's subjective which one from Maths and Geo would be easier. but from the way you wrote and what you said, I think you do not like Geo very much either (am I right?). do you have any other choices such as Econ or History? and isn't it very clear that Geo fall under the Humanities group? I never considered Geo under the Natural Sciences -______-

oh btw another reason why I think you're not the "Maths HL type" is because you take Bio and Chem instead of Physics and Chem. I know this is very stereotypical but Bio students tend to be awesome at memorisation more than at calculation.

what's holding you back? why do you still want to stick with Maths HL? if the pro is less than the con, just drop. think wisely.

Hello :D thanks for your reply.

Yes, after long consideration, I have decided to switch to SL math for many reasons. No, I enjoy geo but I'm not sure if I'm actually good at it, good enough to get a 7 :P I can't possibly see myself doing history (because I haven't taken it in my previous years) or econ or business and so I'll go with Geo. I wanted to stick with HL Maths because some selective universities will think that a 5 or 6 in HL math is wayyy better than a 7 in SL Math. I want to learn about complex numbers and imaginary numbers but that is only part of the HL syllabus. I have some interest in maths but its not like I super love it. But I have considered for a long time, and so I think it is best that switch to SL math, that way I'll have more time to focus on my other higher levels like bio and chem :) Thanks again!