The Economist and other such sources

I've been reading a few topics and I must say, I'm a little worried. Does anyone know for sure whether articles from the Economist are frowned upon? Apparently they're already too 'explained' and so our work will be too much of a rip-off. thanks for your help.

Edited by CharlotteW

At our school the Economics department doesn't allow us to use articles from The Economist for our IAs. They're no good anyway - they've already done all the analysis and evaluation for you, so there's nothing for you to comment about! The best articles are usually the short and simple/brief ones (though they're hard to find sometimes...)

I think The Economist is good for out-of-class reading though.

Edit: Well you could still use those topics you found on The Economist. You just have to look for an article from elsewhere, related to the topic you're interested in.

Edited by ninety
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yes the Economist article are frowned upon, mainly because they do all of the evaluation and explanation leaving you with very little to talk about, thats where you will loose marks. You should try places like BBC, CNN, the guardian were you can do most of the explanations