Need an advice real quick about SATs

ecieee

I'm hoping to apply to US colleges this year and so I need to sit my SATs pretty soon :S but I don't know how things are gonna work out for me!! So I sat the SAT subject tests couple of months ago and I didn't get the scores I wanted T.T I need to sit those again but I haven't sat the SAT reasoning test yet! I want to go for early decision for harvard but I dont know how this is all gonna work out before the deadline :S I can sit the October (deadline is tomorrow for registeration) and the November ones for ED but I'm not sure if it's realistic to sit the SAT reasoning test for the first time and get a good score ( can only sit either the reasoning test or the subject tests at a time). What should I register for October? SAT reasoning or subject tests? I have my IB exams in November so taking that extra pressure in consideration, what should I register for first? Shall I just give up on ED and go for regular so that I have more time to prepare (December and January SATs) ? I don't want to screw up my app for harvard T.T I really want to increase my chances to the maximum... But I really want to get notified early because uni starts in February here.....

Any quick advices? I have to make a decision by tomorrow!

Well I could write a long explanation but let me get to the point.

Your late. YOUR VERY LATE.

People take their SAT 1's in their 11th grade (IB1). Anyhow its pretty late to register for SAT 1 NOW but REGISTER FOR SAT REASONING for October.

And yeah forget about ED as well as Early action. You WILL NOT have enough time. College essays take about 2 months to do (I started writing mine in June).

Secondly make your college list unless you already have. Make sure you have your backups are in order and be realistic. Harvard's average SAT score is 2190–2350 and the average IB score is 42. So make sure you fit that quartile.

Apologies for being so negative but...US applications are all about preparing WAY ahead. If you want instant help, I'm available on skype for the next 4 hours.

Edited by Guest

Hey thanks for your reply! You don't have to emphasize my lateness haha I already know that point. I only decided to go for US apps around about this time last year and at that point I had no knowledge of SAT or whatsoever so I couldn't really do anything. No one ever apply to US uni from where I live so yeah I am quite isolated and I also need a plane ride to take the SATs. In terms if college essays, commonapp only opened a month ago or so so how do you prewrite essays?? In terms of IB scores my predicted score will come out soon but I am shooting for 43+. Afterall, the course I want to get into here require 45 for an interview...lol :'( and yeah I was thinking of ditching EAED cos i need more preparation. I know I have loads of things to do esp when my school is really uncoorporative!! Our school doesn't even have a proper school counsellor cos Australian uni app don't require any paperwork from counsellors...... Somehow people in my school are american haters (esp my english teacher) so I dont have anyone who can help me out with my commonapp or any other prep for USapps. I'm on my iPhone so I can't go on skype!

I would then suggest hiring college counsellor....plenty of them available.

And EVERYONE knows that the Common App always has the 2 same essays;: one of 500 words and the other of 150. And supplementary Essays dont really change so you should have done last years topics anyway.

And FYI think about taking a gap year. Increases your chances by a lot. Oh btw the US requires a full bank statement and everything so make sure you speak with your family accountant to get your papers ready. Colleges REQUIRE them.

You serious about hiring counsellors? Most of people here don't even know what SAT is and so I don't think I can find one? Also the counsellor have to be directly employed by the school no? Otherwise how would that person be a 'school' counsellor?

I didnt know about the essay topics being the same :S so I can quietly refute your EVERYONE generalisation. Oh well too late to regret now. I'll work hard on them from now on.

Are you sure about the bank statement? Is that for financial aid? I'm hoping to get those needblind aids that some ivy colleges give out. I'm well under the income bracket (60000usd bracket) so yeah I was planning to be saved from that hahaha. I have emailed those colleges and they clarified to me that as soon as I get accepted, I will get a full ride. Otherwise how would I even dream of going to an American uni? :S the pressure is that most of the schools that do this in extremely difficult to get in to though. But I guess I won't apply to some mediocre school anyway when I know I have a shot at full ride to some very prestigious med schools here?