EE on regular convex polytopes, is it a viable topic?

berbelk

Hi, i´m doing my Extended Essay on regular convex polytopes, exactly trying to find a function that gives the number of faces of them in terms of their schafli numbers. The doubt I have is that my ib coordinator told us that you have to begin exposing an opposite point of view of what you want to say in your extended essay and then start to refute them. Although I could stablish a kind of debate between people that think is posible to generalize that function and people that think it isn´t, I think the topic of my EE should be finding that function, explaining the proccess and conclude showing that function.

Do you think what my IB coordinator is something common in a Maths EE or is just a misundertanding of the E criteria of the EE?

Edited by berbelk

I'd laugh if I could right now, lol, it's a maths EE, not a debate EE! why would he want you to be arguing? lol I say just deal with the mathematical aspect etc, no need to be debating or whatever :lol:

Glad you said that, I was trying to tell her the same during half an hour without success.

hihi, i think criterion E means our conjectures must be justified with our argument i.e. mathematical proof. that's it I think!

btw I know this is a bit off topic but still about your EE, I wonder, how did you come across this topic? I'm still looking for a topic. cannot decide. sigh :(

I watched Cube trilogy of films after looking for films with references to mathematics, i got intrigued by the idea of higher dimensional geometry and I continued investigating without no settled purpose.