• 6 months later...

Hey there, I need help with part d (i) and (ii) for this question. I've come across it before and get really stuck as I don't know how to sketch the graph. I have included the first part of the question & the answer for convenience. Thanks!

Mal is shopping for a school trip. He buys 50 tins of beans and 20 packets of

cereal. The total cost is 260 Australian dollars (AUD).

(a) Write down an equation showing this information, taking b to be the cost

of one tin of beans and c to be the cost of one packet of cereal in AUD. [1 mark]

ANS: 50b + 20c = $260

Stephen thinks that Mal has not bought enough so he buys 12 more tins of beans

and 6 more packets of cereal. He pays 66 AUD. (b) Write down another equation to represent this information. [1 mark]

ANS: 12b + 6c = $66

© Find the cost of one tin of beans. [2 marks]

ANS: $4

(d) (i) Sketch the graphs of these two equations.

(ii) Write down the coordinates of the point of intersection of the

two graphs. [4 marks]

2ebfg90.png

The graph (if the attachment doesn't work) has pockets of cereal on the y-axis and tins of beans on the x-axis.

The y-intercept of the first line cuts at 13 and the x-axis at around 5.2; the second line cuts the y-axis at 11 and the x-axis at 5.5

I don't know how these values were found?

(the intersection is 4,3)

Edited by The Rainbow Connection

Think of b and c as the normal x and y of a graph. (So as you can see the x axis is now like the b-axis and the y axis is now like the c-axis).

So graphing 12b + 6c = 66 is just like how you would graph 12x + 6y = 66. You might find it easier to graph if you make b/y the subject.

So then you'd have 6c = 66 - 12b.

--> c = 11 - 2b (This is the same as if you were graphing y = 11 - 2x).

So to find the y-intercept/where it cuts the y-axis (aka the c axis) it's b = 0, so c = 11.

To find the x-intercept/where it cuts the x-axis (aka the b axis) it's c = 0, so b = 5.5

(and to actually graph it, you just plot those 2 points, and by its mx+b form you know it's a straight line) :)

To graph 50b + 20c = 260 you'd go through the same process.

I hope this makes sense? I can try to clarify if something still doesn't make sense :)

Edited by bluedino
  • Like 2

Think of b and c as the normal x and y of a graph. (So as you can see the x axis is now like the b-axis and the y axis is now like the c-axis).

So graphing 12b + 6c = 66 is just like how you would graph 12x + 6y = 66. You might find it easier to graph if you make b/y the subject.

So then you'd have 6c = 66 - 12b.

--> c = 11 - 2b (This is the same as if you were graphing y = 11 - 2x).

So to find the y-intercept/where it cuts the y-axis (aka the c axis) it's b = 0, so c = 11.

To find the x-intercept/where it cuts the x-axis (aka the b axis) it's c = 0, so b = 5.5

(and to actually graph it, you just plot those 2 points, and by its mx+b form you know it's a straight line) :)

To graph 50b + 20c = 260 you'd go through the same process.

I hope this makes sense? I can try to clarify if something still doesn't make sense :)

Brilliant - then put equations on GDC and ta-da! Thank you very much :)