Business IA

Hey, so my title is "how can company X increase its market share?"

what do you guys think about the question? is it a good question or should i definitely change?

Also if anyone has an example of an ia related to market share, please send it to me

Personally, I think the question needs a bit of refining.

Firstly, are you HL or SL, because there are a few differences between the two which would affect you research question.

Secondly, the purpose for the IA, HL or SL, is to look at and issue or problem facing the business. The easiest way to do this in the IA is looking at a decision being made in the business, which has 2 or 3 options. For example, for my IA, my business was very small but expanding, so I looked at would it be beneficial to hire a part-time casual. Other people in my class looked at expanding or decreasing markets, moving to new premises, increasing marketing, etc.

Thirdly, your research question needs to be able to lead to you being able to use a few tools to analyse the problem or decision being made. My IA was mostly financial so did ratio analysis, a decision tree and investment appraisal but I also used some motivation and management theories to add to the analysis. It is the tools that you use that will lead to all your evaluation so you need to make sure you can use a few really well for your question.

Lastly, you need to make sure you can gather enough primary data and possibly secondary data to be able to apply to a few tools and theories. This is most important when considering your business. Access to financial data, ability to perform interviews and can make your IA so much easier to complete.

So in terms of your question, if you want to make increasing market share the focus, then do that but for your IA present maybe 3 options that you can analyse on their impact on the business as well as market share. Otherwise, you could look at another possible decision being made, eg would investing in a new marketing approach be beneficial to the business? or anything that would increase market share, where increased market share is just one benefit of the the decision. This may allow better analysis of the whole impact on the business, which will allow you to obtain the higher marks.

If you have any more questions or want me to clear something up, just ask :)

• Like 1

Personally, I think the question needs a bit of refining.

Firstly, are you HL or SL, because there are a few differences between the two which would affect you research question.

Secondly, the purpose for the IA, HL or SL, is to look at and issue or problem facing the business. The easiest way to do this in the IA is looking at a decision being made in the business, which has 2 or 3 options. For example, for my IA, my business was very small but expanding, so I looked at would it be beneficial to hire a part-time casual. Other people in my class looked at expanding or decreasing markets, moving to new premises, increasing marketing, etc.

Thirdly, your research question needs to be able to lead to you being able to use a few tools to analyse the problem or decision being made. My IA was mostly financial so did ratio analysis, a decision tree and investment appraisal but I also used some motivation and management theories to add to the analysis. It is the tools that you use that will lead to all your evaluation so you need to make sure you can use a few really well for your question.

Lastly, you need to make sure you can gather enough primary data and possibly secondary data to be able to apply to a few tools and theories. This is most important when considering your business. Access to financial data, ability to perform interviews and can make your IA so much easier to complete.

So in terms of your question, if you want to make increasing market share the focus, then do that but for your IA present maybe 3 options that you can analyse on their impact on the business as well as market share. Otherwise, you could look at another possible decision being made, eg would investing in a new marketing approach be beneficial to the business? or anything that would increase market share, where increased market share is just one benefit of the the decision. This may allow better analysis of the whole impact on the business, which will allow you to obtain the higher marks.

If you have any more questions or want me to clear something up, just ask :)

Thanks, that helped =D

• kw0573 locked this topic