whippersnapper

Right now, I want to choose these subjects:

Swe lit SL

Spanish SL

History SL

Chemistry HL

Physics HL

Maths HL

But then my teacher told me I had to take an extra HL course in case I would drop HL Maths.. Which one do you guys think I should choose? Or should I drop HL Maths?

Where's the English? I thought you need to take English?

Erm... take history HL and drop maths HL if you don't need it for university admission

In my school you don't have to, although I suppose it's rather good :P But then I would have to drop Spanish and I definitively don't want to do that.

That's probably the smartest thing to do.. I'll talk to my maths teacher and see what he says :) Seeing as I'm very interested in Maths, I might need it, but I don't really now what I want to do :S

Right now, I want to choose these subjects:

Swe lit SL

Spanish SL

History SL

Chemistry HL

Physics HL

Maths HL

But then my teacher told me I had to take an extra HL course in case I would drop HL Maths.. Which one do you guys think I should choose? Or should I drop HL Maths?

Where's the English? I thought you need to take English?

Erm... take history HL and drop maths HL if you don't need it for university admission

In my school you don't have to, although I suppose it's rather good :P But then I would have to drop Spanish and I definitively don't want to do that.

That's probably the smartest thing to do.. I'll talk to my maths teacher and see what he says :) Seeing as I'm very interested in Maths, I might need it, but I don't really now what I want to do :S

I thought that's IBO policy not school policy...

If you don't know what to do so far, stick with HL maths for a month or so and see whether you can handle it or not.

• Like 1

It depends I guess... For me the hardest subjects are Chemistry and Biology HL. Even though I love both of them, I have strange teachers... Biology teacher is super tough and harsh... And Chemistry teacher cannot teach so we have to take care of ourselves....

I also heard that Math HL is pretty hard.

I am definitely going to attend IB next year. What do you think about this set:

A1 English SL

B Norwegian SL

B German SL

Maths HL

Physics HL

Business and managment HL (my school doesn't offer economics)

Is it possible to choose 2 B languages as I did? :)

A1 English SL

B Norwegian SL

B German SL

Maths HL

Physics HL

Yep, as long as you can keep up with the work :)

A1 English SL

B Norwegian SL

B German SL

Maths HL

Physics HL

My classmate has two B languages, and both at HL, and she's doing just fine. :)

I am currently doing the IB; I'm in the first year. I do HL: Physics, History, English, Spanish, SL: Math and Chemistry. I'm a math freak and HL is not proposed in my school =[. I'm currently working on my own for math to hopefully be able to do A-level math. Is this anywhere close to rational?

Trust me, you may be all organized now but half way through you'll realise 10 gazillion things have gone haywire according to your plan.

I'm in my second year and dying because of internals but that's because I was too lazy and all laid back during he first year but hard work pays off!

I've taken:

Chem/HL

Psychology/HL

ITGS/HL

Maths Studies/SL

English/SL

Spanish/ Ab Initio

Personally, Spanish at ab initio and math studies were my best ever subject choices!

Science subjects are tough because of the internals but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. But always revise even if you know your stuff, you need to constantly revise. To all you first year students, VALUE YOUR TIME!!! Don't stress too much about Extended Essay straight away, you'll probably find something more interesting to do as you start to explore all the different aspects of IB.

GOOD LUCK. You all will need it.

I am currently doing the IB; I'm in the first year. I do HL: Physics, History, English, Spanish, SL: Math and Chemistry. I'm a math freak and HL is not proposed in my school =[. I'm currently working on my own for math to hopefully be able to do A-level math. Is this anywhere close to rational?

Are you a native speaker of Spanish? If not, is Spanish HL hard? :)

This is the subjects I'm planning on taking for IB:

Swedish Lit SL

Spanish HL

History SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

+ Biology 2 (Swedish course)

+ Latin 2 (Swedish course)

I'm dead, right? I don't want to take four HL:s, but I have to if I'm going to take Maths HL (Stupid rule!)

Latin is a breeze and biology is only a couple of labs and two tests. I'm going to Spain next year to study there for a year, and I can probably manage Spanish HL after that (Hopefully!). My dad's a doctor in Physics and Maths, so I can always ask him when it gets hard.

Still, it's probably too hard. What do you guys think?

I'd be glad if you'll give me some advice too.

I've been thinking about taking:

Danish A (we apparently have to) HL

English B HL

Chemistry HL (or maybe economics - but I don't know much about it..)

Spanish ab initio SL

Psychology SL

Math Studies SL

Is Chemistry HL hard? I'm thinking about taking Biology HL instead.

Cool :D

I like Biology better than Chemistry, but I'm having Chemistry right now - because I need it for my further education and in Denmark there's no education that requires Biology.. Which is really odd?

But I already feel like Chemistry is a little confusing, my teacher isn't the best either, he speaks really bad English and his explanations.... I'm not great at math, so it might be a bad choice. But it just won't fit together if I choose SL instead.

I've never had Economics, and we just started in Social Science. But it seems really interesting. I'm just wondering if you have to be a math genius to take it at HL :P

Do you think that you should base your choices mainly on interests or what you need for further education?

Well, I don't hate math. I just know I wont be able to do something with to much math, I'd like to be good at it, but I just don't get it. :dontgetit:

The thing is I'd like to become a veterinarian, which means I have to take;

Danish HL

History HL

Math HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

And that's not possible. But I don't know the demands outside Denmark, so I'm gonna talk with the student guidance soon.

I'm interested in the subjects but I'm afraid it will be to hard.

I'm really trying to choose wisely, but it's so difficult :)

• 1 month later...

Are you a native speaker of Spanish? If not, is Spanish HL hard? :)

Hey, no, I'm a native French speaker though. I'm now 16 and came to an English speaking country when I was 10. It's actually a Dutch, French, English, Spanish, Papimento, Creole speaking country, but anyways =P. Spanish isn't so hard to me, except for the ya, lo and la. This might be because of the French though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Here is planned schedule for now:

English A1 HL

Biology HL

History HL

Math SL

Theatre SL

Spanish SL

Extended essay topic would likely be on the cultural influence of the Wizard of Oz.

CAS is easily taken care of (swim team, acting, zoo volunteering).

English HL is not a hard HL to do, as long as you stick to deadlines and assessment criteria. Getting a 7 here is hard though, you can't slack off in your orals and world lit; they're 50% of your grade.

Bio HL (according to my classmates) is their slack-off- easy-7 class. It's only a bit over IGCSE level, so if you did bio IGCSE well, this shouldn't be a problem. There's lots to remember though.

History HL is supposedly a very fun class, in my school, they watch movies and role-play. Again, there's lots to memorize and analyse (historical investigation and everything), so you shouldn't put it off to the last minute, or (like my classmate) you'll be stuck with a few hours to read up several books.

Math SL is an easier class than HL( even though HL is more fun), and if you've done IGCSE Add maths, it'll be cakewalk!

Theatre is also manageable, providing you put in all the effort it needs.

Your CAS is fine, but I think I've seen that EE before(or something similar). I'd recommend you pick a topic more specific.

I am thinking about taking those subjects, someone that knows if they are hard?

Math studies

psychology HL

Swedish Lit

English B HL

German SL

Biology HL

I think your set of classes would be pretty easy (depending on your interests, of course), except maybe for your languages.

If you've been speaking both Swedish and German for a while, then you should be fine. Biology HL is a fun class (see above).

In my school ( or most IB schools here, Math Studies is a joke. Be prepared to be looked down on by the SL and HL kids)

Well, I don't hate math. I just know I wont be able to do something with to much math, I'd like to be good at it, but I just don't get it. :dontgetit:

The thing is I'd like to become a veterinarian, which means I have to take;

Danish HL

History HL

Math HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

And that's not possible. But I don't know the demands outside Denmark, so I'm gonna talk with the student guidance soon.

I'm interested in the subjects but I'm afraid it will be to hard.

I'm really trying to choose wisely, but it's so difficult :)

Well, you're in for trouble even if you're allowed to take 5 HLs, because even if can manage well in the first year, a heap of deadlines will come crashing on you in yr 2, and it's hard to keep up with 3 HLs as is. And Chem HL + Phys HL + Math HL = Killer in itself. Apparently Chem HL isn't bad if you did well in IGCSE chem, but i had a lot of problem with O level chem so yea. Physics HL and Math HL are two of the hardest in IB. Math HL is enjoyable though. Danish HL shouldn't be a problem since you're a native speaker, I guess.