EE in English A2, Lady Chatterley's Lover

Will.i.am

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum but I've read a lot of discussions and subject-specific threads here and I've recieved great help in most cases. But now to my first post:

As you've already undrestood (considering the title) this is all about my EE in literature (English A2 HL). I've decided (since IB1) to do my EE on the, quite controversial, novel Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence. Right now I'm seeking a good topic and research question about his book. My supervisor has not read the novel which is mainly why I decided to ask you guys for help.

My purpose of this thread is to:

1. come in contact with someone who has read the novel (and maybe written essays/EE on it before) to hear some interesting thoughts
  2. get some comments on the topic I'm considering to write about (Forbidden love/Womens influence on men/Class difference)
  3. hear some general tips about EE writing about literature

I know I'm late with starting to write my EE but I've read the novel and started some research (2:ndary sources e.t.c) (plus I havn't really had the time since school started, internals, tests e.t.c)

Thanks

Edited by Will.i.am

I'm just wondering if the book would be considered appropriate. It has pretty graphic sex scenes, and to discuss any of the topics you're considering you'd probably have to mention the sex. I don't know if IB would have a problem with it, but I remember my English teacher didn't allow me to do my oral on the rape scene in "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" (and it was pretty mild when compared to "Lady Chatterley's Lover"). Just make sure your teacher is aware of the contents of the novel, I guess.

My friends who wrote their EE in English said they found it easier to compare two works (like in the WL) than to analyze only one. I'm writing mine in History, though, so I don't know much about English EEs. But if you can pull off a well-written, coherent essay on this novel, it'll definitely be great. Good luck!

I already had that settled with my English teacher (she's not my EE-supervisor) and she said the book is a good one, it's a classic with loads of 2:nddary sources, originally written in English e.t.c so she couldn't see why not to pick it. But I do realize that the examinator might be affected by a certain culture/religion or personal disgust(?) and thereby denies it.

But it's such a good piece of art and such a fascinating book :rolleyes:

Edited by Will.i.am