Did I choose the right subjects?

Michael Jones

Getting a good IB grade to get INTO university in the first place is the right goal to have. I would suggest SL physics, because while it MIGHT look impressive to uni's, getting a 6-7 in SL physics would be much MORE impressive than a 5 or 6 in HL physics. Also, since you want to do Business and Management and then Marketing, you have absolutely no need for physics in real life :P. But, again, it depends on the university. If they're more interested in harder subjects over a good IB score, go with HL Physics. But it's hell, I'll tell you that :P

Spanish on the other hand, gives you a second language, which is much more sought after than physics, I believe.

Have you thought about actually taking Business and Management? It's an IB subject, not sure if your school offer it.

• Like 1

Your subject choices are fine, perfectly suited for what you want to do. Although wouldn't pick some of the courses you have, that's more to do with personal taste and insofar as Business Management at University goes, you're on the right path.

I would stick to Spanish HL if I were you. When you're applying for Business, most UK Unis don't care a hang about the severity of your classes, they just want you to get the required grades. Also, you don't need Maths HL for Business, you do, however, need Maths HL to study Economics at the top Unis. Since you've already decided to go for Business, taking Maths HL would be an unnecessary burden on you.

Have you thought about actually taking Business and Management? It's an IB subject, not sure if your school offer it.

Even if you have thought about it, I wouldn't suggest that you take this course, ever.

Getting a good IB grade to get INTO university in the first place is the right goal to have. I would suggest SL physics, because while it MIGHT look impressive to uni's, getting a 6-7 in SL physics would be much MORE impressive than a 5 or 6 in HL physics. Also, since you want to do Business and Management and then Marketing, you have absolutely no need for physics in real life :P. But, again, it depends on the university. If they're more interested in harder subjects over a good IB score, go with HL Physics. But it's hell, I'll tell you that :P

Spanish on the other hand, gives you a second language, which is much more sought after than physics, I believe.

I wouldnt call a 6-7 in SL physics would be much MORE impressive than a 5 or 6 in HL physics. IN fact, I would see it the other way.

BUT IMO, nobody cares if you do 4HLS. so just drop the physics to SL.

Hello everyone,

I recently started the IB and will be taking my exams in May 2013. I am hoping to go on and get a degree in Business Management in Uni, and then get a Master's in Marketing Management. I'm not exactly sure if I have chosen the right subjects though, so I was hoping some of you could help me out.

My classes are:

Economics HL

Psychology HL

English Literature SL

Math SL

Physics SL/HL

Spanish SL/HL

The last two classes are the ones I'm not too sure about at this point. The problem is that Physics HL is a really hard class, and although I like Physics, I'm not sure it's worth risking poor grades in it when I can do much MUCH better in Spanish HL, despite it not having as much value. So the question is, will Universities prefer a more complex course such as physics in which I get possibly a 5, or an easier subject such as Spanish where I have a high chance of getting a 7. Also I am aware I should be taking Math HL for business management, but I'm really not good enough at math to pull of a 7 or maybe even a 6. Also if there are any classes that I mentioned which I really shouldn't be taking, or HAVEN'T listed that I should be taking, let me know.

Thanks for your input! :D

I'm in Psychology HL, too! French SL, though. Anyway, I totally see where you're coming from. This is the first year I've ever really had to work in a class, and some of my classes this year are HARD! In the end, I think you'd b a lot better ff if you do what you know is going to get you the grade. There's no sense in taking all of these classes if you're not truly going to excel in them, you know? It'll defeat the whole purpose.

Even if you have thought about it, I wouldn't suggest that you take this course, ever.

May I ask why? :o

Two reasons: The University perspective and the practical benefit perspective (or opportunity cost if you will).

University perspective:

I checked out the prospectuses for all the top Unis in the UK before sending in my applications. Whether it was Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, or Imperial, Business Studies was always included in the 'non-preferred subjects' category. Universities clearly said that an A-Level in this course would not be considered when reviewing your application nor making you an offer. If you took more than one 'non-preferred subject' you were setting yourself up for instant disapproval from the tutors or relevant departments and there was a strong chance they wouldn't look twice at your application. For example, for some Universities: Business, Law, Computer Studies, Design and Technology, Accounting, Theatre etc. are non-preferred subjects. Taking one of these at HL, you could get away with it, maybe not at a top Uni, but you could. Taking two, you're done. Taking 2 non-preferred subjects at SL, you could get away with it, taking 1 at SL, nobody would look twice.

This is because as far as the UK is concerned, your HL subject choices matter the most, whatever you do for your SL is ancillary and they just exist to boost your overall score. So if you take Business and Management at SL and the preferred subjects at HL, all would be well, but taking B&M at HL is instantly disqualifying what would be considered a possible A-Level subject grade.

Moving to the US, when I spoke to a representative from UPenn, she clearly told me that they would understand if a student took a Business class if he/she was interested and that was the only thing offered in that subject area. But if an Economics course was also offered and they chose B&M instead, they would definitely question the student for their subject decisions because High School Business classes don't give you any foundation or perspective, high school classes at the end of the day are merely introductory to the real stuff you will be pursuing at University. Most classes like History, Economics, Psychology (strictly referring to Social Sciences here) are giving you the bare minimum of information and testing that in your exams, it's about building a foundation which is to be made stronger and taller at University.

B&M gives you no suitable foundation, which brings me to my transition to Reason Number Two.

The practical benefit perspective:

Economics gives you a basic idea of how the markets of the world function, from microeconomics to macroeconomics, to international and developmental, you cover everything in the most basic of forms. Business is a course that teaches you marketing, consumer tastes, and all that jazz about how to run a business. The thing is though that you cannot study hardcore theories and ideas and work and do all those things you will inevitably do at University when you're in High School, so your High School classes are designed to fit that stage of your life. The B&M course is all basic ideas and common sense since you can't get into the real nitty-gritty of it like you would at Business school in future. The class turns into a complete waste.

Most of my friends who took B&M HL and applied abroad faced an endless amount of grief because of it. It was universally frowned upon. They took it anticipating an easy grade, which it was (the average for B&M at my old school was a 6.~something). One of them went so far as to say that someone with half a brain could scrape a 5 in B&M HL. The only Unis that didn't seem to look twice at it were the really shoddy, money-minded ones like Kingston and Richmond and Middlesex.

So that's my reasoning, I've heard many sides of this argument and this is what I propose: do not take B&M at HL. If you disagree with me, that's cool, that's your opinion and you're free to have it.

:peace:

• Like 3