Rape Victim: ToK Presentation

DianeD

Hi!

I decided to do my ToK presentation on the delicate subject of Rape and its consequences.

I would like to hear some opinions from you all (especially the girls) to help me with the presentation.

If you would become pregnant after being raped would you abort, keep the child, or give it up for adoption?

Why? Because of Religious beliefs or personal beliefs?

I would really like to see different point of views!

If you have an experience you would like to share or anything of that sorts you can also private message me.

All help would be wonderful!

Edited by DianeD

Hi!

I decided to do my ToK presentation on the delicate subject of Rape and its consequences.

I would like to hear some opinions from you all (especially the girls) to help me with the presentation.

If you would become pregnant after being raped would you abort, keep the child, or give it up for adoption?

If you have an experience you would like to share or anything of that sorts you can also private message me.

In theory,I would abort.I wouldn't want to raise a child after a rape.It would be far too traumatizing.

I really don't think anyone should have to raise a child after a rape so i'd support a decision to give up the child for adoption or abort.

I'm not religious and I think that people should only have children when they are emotionally and financially ready for it.

What knowledge issues will you be exploring in the presentation?I think its interesting

• Like 1

[quote name=Gee :)' timestamp='1315738315' post='131107]

Hi!

In theory,I would abort.I wouldn't want to raise a child after a rape.It would be far too traumatizing.

I really don't think anyone should have to raise a child after a rape so i'd support a decision to give up the child for adoption or abort.

I'm not religious and I think that people should only have children when they are emotionally and financially ready for it.

What knowledge issues will you be exploring in the presentation?I think its interesting

I have had some trouble formulating it, but I was thinking along the lines of: Is it justified to abort if a woman has been raped and is in consequence pregnant?

Well, being Catholic, my religion prohibits abortion in all cases, whether you are raped, gang raped, whatever. Every person is a gift from God, and should be cherished, because abortion is murder, and murder of the most evil kind: killing someone who can't even fight back. This spells excommunication for us Catholics if we do commit these acts.

I guess this answer will have to be mine. I mean, in our country, we generally do not abort people, and our population is steadily growing, and with it, our manpower and work force, so I guess, even with poverty, lives shouldn't be taken just because of these acts.

It may be traumatizing, but the child didn't do anything. So, why kill it? :((

Well, being Catholic, my religion prohibits abortion in all cases, whether you are raped, gang raped, whatever. Every person is a gift from God, and should be cherished, because abortion is murder, and murder of the most evil kind: killing someone who can't even fight back. This spells excommunication for us Catholics if we do commit these acts.

I guess this answer will have to be mine. I mean, in our country, we generally do not abort people, and our population is steadily growing, and with it, our manpower and work force, so I guess, even with poverty, lives shouldn't be taken just because of these acts.

It may be traumatizing, but the child didn't do anything. So, why kill it? :((

Thanks for your opinion!

Just a question:

Would you give the child up for adoption or would you keep it?

Guest KAPOWW!!

I like the contrasting views here, very interesting. Now I'm a guy, but I'll try to help

Keeping the child:

I don't see why a girl should abort the child, since every child should considered a boon, Much more aptly phrased by superwee100.

You need to consider mentalities, there are 2 ways of looking at it. The child being a reminder of the rape or the child being a milestone in how you battled depression and emotional issues and came out stronger.

Not keeping the child:

I'm for this. Since no girl would want to have a child with a sick minded rapist as the father(even if the child never meets the scumbag)

How would the child grow up not knowing her father, when its parents didn't divorce, the fathers alive and kicking and is *clears throat* A FREAKING RAPIST.

Can you imagine not having a father come to school on 'job/occupation day' or whatever its called. That's bad enough, but knowing that you're father did a hell of a job as a rapist? wouldn't amuse a kid.

• Like 2

I like the contrasting views here, very interesting. Now I'm a guy, but I'll try to help

Keeping the child:

I don't see why a girl should abort the child, since every child should considered a boon, Much more aptly phrased by superwee100.

You need to consider mentalities, there are 2 ways of looking at it. The child being a reminder of the rape or the child being a milestone in how you battled depression and emotional issues and came out stronger.

Not keeping the child:

I'm for this. Since no girl would want to have a child with a sick minded rapist as the father(even if the child never meets the scumbag)

How would the child grow up not knowing her father, when its parents didn't divorce, the fathers alive and kicking and is *clears throat* A FREAKING RAPIST.

Can you imagine not having a father come to school on 'job/occupation day' or whatever its called. That's bad enough, but knowing that you're father did a hell of a job as a rapist? wouldn't amuse a kid.

Thanks! I definitely have to agree with you! But I'm glad you gave me two point of views. It gives me something to work with. :)

Guest KAPOWW!!

Keeping the child:

Not keeping the child:

Thanks! I definitely have to agree with you! But I'm glad you gave me two point of views. It gives me something to work with. :)

Yeah I'm glad I could hel that's all, Wall post if you need anything else. :)

• Like 1

Hi!

Hey! okay so i pm'ed you.. hope it helps :)

• Like 1

Just a word of warning - there is a difference between ethical questions such as 'Is a woman justified to abort her child if she does not want it?' and epistomlogical questions (knowledge issues) such as 'Does the application of reason in ethics always lead to 'just' conclusions?' From the questions you have asked it seems like your presentation is one about ethics not ToK.

• Like 1

I happen to be a man, but if I was a woman I do not think I would want an abortion, even in these circumstances. There is every possibility that even at this stage the foetus is conscious and able to feel pain, and I do not think it is right to end it's life just because I couldn't plan for it/the father was nasty. Whether I put them up for adoption or not would probably depend on the situation, but if I was at all capable of doing so in terms of finances/stage of life I think I would try and keep it.

• Like 1

Just a word of warning - there is a difference between ethical questions such as 'Is a woman justified to abort her child if she does not want it?' and epistomlogical questions (knowledge issues) such as 'Does the application of reason in ethics always lead to 'just' conclusions?' From the questions you have asked it seems like your presentation is one about ethics not ToK.

Thank you for the heads up! I will keep that in mind!

I'm a guy, and personally I'd say if I was female, and that happened to me, I'd abort the child. I'm not religious so that might be something you might consider in my opinion.

I have no emotion attached to the coming child anyway. I have no love for this child, I have no respect for this child. This child is likely not going to be loved or given proper parental love. Do we really want more miserable children later that might suffer? And from what I hear, it f***ing hurts when you deliver.

In addition, I believe there is nothing wrong with abortion, if there is no emotional value attached. If abortion is wrong, it shouldn't even be allowed as a service.

• Like 2

Personally, I think I would abort the child. However, if I'm ever in this situation, I may probably think differently.

Everybody see's rape as taboo (which is it - it's a disgusting act), and hence, a child born from a rape would be a constant reminder to the mother, and to it's family, how it got into this world.

I don't think I could handle that. And I definitely wouldn't want to give the child up for adoption. Who knows what genes this rapist could have. The poor fetus might be better off being aborted.

However. IF I happened to be told I could not have children, and was suddenly pregnant from rape, I think I might keep the child. I realise that contradicts everything I have just said :P, but, I guess, that's just important to me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd get an abortion. I feel that it would make getting over the experience so much harder, having to be daily reminded by it by having the raper's baby. And why would I ever want to bring a child to the world that's father was a rapist? Not that one's potential to rape is determined by genes, but still there's something so very very very wrong with a person who would do something that horrible and I would not ever help them produce offspring. In addition I feel that pregnancy and childbirth is such a grueling thing that it should be only done when you have a husband/wife there to support you and not just because you happened to get pregnant as a mistake.

• 3 months later...

I think, i also would abort, because I couldnt live with the remainder of such a terrible event every day, and them it wouldnt be fair for the child, and when the child grews up, it must be so hard to tell him about his father, nobody should be forced to make a decision like this about the life of somebody else, but after rape its reasonable.