Topic and information Help!

Justina

Hello, I'm IB student and it's my second year here. This year, as I am SL psychology student, I need to make an Internal assessment task. I want to replicate experiments about isolation (Von Restorff) or Primacy effect. However, I'm not entirely sure whether these experiment are suitable. Also, I tried to find information about each of these research studies, but all articles are not allowed to download. I'm desperate. I have an offer to combine with other groop and to carry out Stroop experiment, but I dont't understand the point of that experiment. Could anybody give me a piece of advise about where can I find information about isolation or primacy effect? Or I should comibne with Stroop group and not to bother about these two?

Hello, I'm IB student and it's my second year here. This year, as I am SL psychology student, I need to make an Internal assessment task. I want to replicate experiments about isolation (Von Restorff) or Primacy effect. However, I'm not entirely sure whether these experiment are suitable. Also, I tried to find information about each of these research studies, but all articles are not allowed to download. I'm desperate. I have an offer to combine with other groop and to carry out Stroop experiment, but I dont't understand the point of that experiment. Could anybody give me a piece of advise about where can I find information about isolation or primacy effect? Or I should comibne with Stroop group and not to bother about these two?

The Stroop is your best option. It is consistently the most popular experiment for IAs because it is so easy to carry out and write up. The point of the Stroop is to show interference for incongruent word color pairs (e.g. green is processed faster than green). You can see sample IAs on IB Survival here or my blog, mine was on the Stroop effect btw.

Any other questions just ask :).

• Like 1

The Stroop is your best option. It is consistently the most popular experiment for IAs because it is so easy to carry out and write up. The point of the Stroop is to show interference for incongruent word color pairs (e.g. green is processed faster than green). You can see sample IAs on IB Survival here or my blog, mine was on the Stroop effect btw.

Any other questions just ask :).

Ok, so, Stroop. I understand that the point is to show that interference appears, but what is the significance of that? :) Where can findings of this experiment be applied? In my opinion, people are not usually trying to read word colours in every day life :D

P.S. Thank you for your help! :) :)

Ok, so, Stroop. I understand that the point is to show that interference appears, but what is the significance of that? :) Where can findings of this experiment be applied? In my opinion, people are not usually trying to read word colours in every day life :D

P.S. Thank you for your help! :) :)

I know the Stroop is used to find out where error/conflict detection occurs in the brain. Picture somebody with EEG strapped to their head or in an fMRI doing the Stroop task and then you can figure out which brain areas are active with incongruent word pairs compared to congruent word pairs. The IA doesn't have to useful for everyday life, the point in doing the Stroop is that it is easy to do well on ;).

• 3 weeks later...

I am actually about to start my Psychology SL IA and I have some ideas. I am SL and as I am informed, for SL students it is only allowed to find an experiment and replicate it in order to check the validity or to see if it can be applied to high school students for example. Our teacher also advised us to do something connected to memory as it is easiest to conduct.

My question is where on the Internet I can find good quality psychological experiments suitable for IA and replication in school settings?

I am sorry that I can't introduce some new variable, no really much space for creativity :no:

Agree!

In Psychology, it may be fun, but make sure you look at the effects that your actions will have.

Also, to help you, try assessing the planned projects you are going to have with the SMART test.

Is is specific?

It is measurable?

Is it attainable?

Is it relevant?

Is it time-bound?

This will help you decide on a better investigation.

Also, don't forget to ask: Is this humane? :D

I think I understand the method of making a good IA in Psychology, that's absolutely not a problem. I just asked if anyone knows any good sources (web sites, books...) for finding some good experiment from field of memory or perception that would be appropriate for replication in school settings.

• 1 month later...

Hello, for psychology IA we decided with my group to replicate the stroop effect but we can't really figure out if we should replicate experiment 1(The Effect of Interfering Color Stimuli Upon Reading Names of Colors Serially ) or experiment 2 (The Effect of Interfering Word Stimuli Upon Naming Colors Serially ) which one is better?

Thank you

Edited by Didenur
  • Like 1

Hello, for psychology IA we decided with my group to replicate the stroop effect but we can't really figure out if we should replicate experiment 1(The Effect of Interfering Color Stimuli Upon Reading Names of Colors Serially ) or experiment 2 (The Effect of Interfering Word Stimuli Upon Naming Colors Serially ) which one is better?

Thank you

I recommend replicating experiment 2 as it fits what most people know as the stroop task, experiment 1 was to gain a baseline if I'm not mistaken.