TOK Presentation "What makes a good justification?"

Will.i.am

Hi everyone!

Okay, TOK presentations comming up and I've just found out a quite good knowledge issue:

"What makes a good justification?"

This should be supported by some RLS of cource. I was thinking about something like: the Media's usage of children in advertisment to awake empathy and a feeling of guilt among its audience. This is quite interesting sine its very commonly used in e.g TV commercials for "The Red Cross" and similar organisations which seeks donations.

I was also thinking of mixing in Raskolnikov's (Crime and Punishment) view that a 'lower' person could be killed if the majority benefits from it. I mean, What kind of justification is that?

Some feedback/views would be appreciated!

Thanks

Your ideas are really interesting and you make a good point, your knowledge issue howver should be a question starting with "How do we know...?" and make sure this really comes through in your presentation as its one of the criteria your assessed on.

Make sure you follow the guidelines exactly, and keep the criteria in mind

You would also have to think about which AOKS and WOKS youd be assessing

Hi everyone!

Okay, TOK presentations comming up and I've just found out a quite good knowledge issue:

"What makes a good justification?"

This should be supported by some RLS of cource. I was thinking about something like: the Media's usage of children in advertisment to awake empathy and a feeling of guilt among its audience. This is quite interesting sine its very commonly used in e.g TV commercials for "The Red Cross" and similar organisations which seeks donations.

I was also thinking of mixing in Raskolnikov's (Crime and Punishment) view that a 'lower' person could be killed if the majority benefits from it. I mean, What kind of justification is that?

Some feedback/views would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dear Sir,

You are the very first member on this forum who I have seen hit a knowledge issue right on the head with uniqness and confinednce! However, I would be more catious about the RLS you use. Bearing in mind what your knowledge issue is, you will need to find scenarios which portray different methods of justification. Your Red Cross example dosen't really deal with that quite well UNLESS you turn it around and state how it causes you to feel justified in giving money for the donation. As long as you stay focused on your knowledge issue I think you will be fine. I assume you know different forms of justification to include in your presentation.

• 1 month later...

Hey again guys and thanks for your help.

I had my presentation last week and I'm satisfied with my result (which was 18points)

I switched RLS the last minute to Breivik's terror in Oslo and it allowed me to explore the ethical concepts of Utilitarianism and Deontologism. So what I did was that I basically analysed Breivik's justification through the different perspectives, added a bit of personal opinion and linked it to psycology/biology. I was really nervous about this since I tend to have a bit of a stage fright. The easiest way to overcome this fear for me was to practise and reminding myself that it's not the end of the world if I would fail to meet my goal. (You can actually do more than one presentation)

So I just was to encourage all IB students out there to overcome their stage fright and give them a more positive view on Tok presentations, it's really not that hard!