English A1 Individual Oral Presentation

Evinus

We have to do out first IOP and I get the whole idea of it and what I'm supposed to be doing but my problem is how I'm supposed to be doing it.

I decided to do an oral exposé because I hate dramatic presentations.

My question is... what exactly is an oral exposé? (yeah that sounds really dumb)

what I mean is what am I supposed to do? is it like an essay, am I supposed to use quotes to back myself up or what?

help would be great, thanks.

Oral expose is basically when you choose a topic based on the works (e.g. "the use of weather as a motif in The Great Gatsby") and write an essay on that topic, based on quotes and textual support to back up your arguments (e.g. "Fitzgerald uses rain to symbolise sadness, as seen from [insert sad event] where it was "raining cats and dogs"). And then, you stand in front of the class and read out this essay that you wrote for 10-15 minutes.

Sorry for the crappy example, but hope this helps :)

Yeah, we were given the choice of what we wanted to do. We pretty much picked one of three books and were given the freedom to speak for 10-15 min. on whatever we wanted to. Most people read an essay or did a power point about symbolism or themes in the book.

I did a powerpoint presentation and discussed the relationship between Frankenstein and Prometheus Bound; I dedicated a whole slide to a passage from Frankenstein and analyzed it, drawing connections to Prometheus Bound. I got a very good grade because I didn't read and just talked about the subject naturally. I wouldn't recomend you read or memorize but speak about something you know and feel strongly about (Just make sure you keep within the time constraints).

• 1 month later...

You should not read your essay. You should learn it's soul and speak really confidently. With this assessment, they are not only lookign for your understanding, but your confidence with the language and speaking to others, so things like eye contact is very important. You also have to have a broader thought on the presentation because, ideally, the teacher and students should ask you questions to aid your presentation.

Guest syrianstar

I definetly wouldn't recommend that you read your essay or your notes - some people in my class did that and they lost grades for it.

Remember it an Individual Oral Presentation so try to make it at least a little creative and unique to a certain extent i.e. DON'T read your notes!

Also quotes are essential - you should be able to relate your topic to the works and it's always good to have evidenc to support your theory. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our teacher basically bled out anyone who read so much as a word from their sheets.

I pretty much improvised mine using my fully annotated book, with key quotes highlighted, which got me 25/30.

Someone in my class did it pretty much as theatre.... an internal dialogue between two personalities of a bipolar character (can't remember the book, but there was something about that in it.) It was very original, well presented, and he got all the information across in a very convincing and interesting way... scoring him 28/30.

• 2 weeks later...

You oral expose is basically what you would write in an essay or a commentary except that you present it in a speech. Basically, pick a segment or a novel or play, a poem, or whatever you have decided to present. Pick a topic wich relates to this text (such as 'the characterisation of Proffesor eisenbart' in Prize-Giveing by Gwen Harwood) and analyse the text in relation to this topic.

It helps to be extremelly accurate and precise. Use technical terms, lots of examples and look as in depth as posible into the piece. Remember that it's not essentail to use secondary sources to write your presentaion, however if you do be sure to reference properly, otherwise you marks will suffer GREATLY. You speech should go for 10-15 minutes (this including teacher questions). Activly interacting with a powerpoint or some form of visual aid is also good. However, it must be used well in conjunction with your presentaion. If you do that then it will probably get you better marks. However, if you do not use visual aids properly then that may detract from your presentation.

If there is anything your not sure about ASK YOUR TEACHER. There's nothing worse than doing an assignment that your not sure about. If they don't give you a good answer then go to another teacher. Their advice is priceless.

Speak up, speak clear, and be confident that you know you text intimatly (the teacher questions can be tricky).

Good luck

Kristen

Edited by Kristen

• 2 weeks later...

my teacher told us that we could basically have ZERO eye contact, just stand there and read off our scripts with a powerpoint presentation running, and that mimnimal interaction could still earn you good grades if your analysis was good. Is that true? I found it a little stupid, oral presentation..Reading off the slides, no eye contact, whaaaaaaaat!

• 4 weeks later...

When I did my I.O.P.s we had to choose a topic from a book that we had read during the school year. (Oedipus Rex, The Kite Runner, The Grapes of Wrath, Mrs. Dalloway)

I choose to just do a tri-fold board on nature symbolism in Mrs. Dalloway with a focus on flowers. I also brought in all the different types of flowers metioned in the book and just organized them around the board.

However, I know a lot of people opted with the powerpoint presentation option and still got good marks with it.

I agree that it is really important that you try not to read off your essay. People who did that got bad scores from my teacher.

• 3 weeks later...

It is much better to present, but you don't have to look up all the time. Just change your tone, like telling a story to a bunch of kids, that way it is more interactive... Besides, don't we all have to stick with our complex writing language in the essay, not colloquial?

my teacher told us that we could basically have ZERO eye contact, just stand there and read off our scripts with a powerpoint presentation running, and that mimnimal interaction could still earn you good grades if your analysis was good. Is that true? I found it a little stupid, oral presentation..Reading off the slides, no eye contact, whaaaaaaaat!

Yep, friend's school had that. Pretty unfair for the rest of us, IMO. She got a 90-something % and the teacher said she would have gotten higher if she had talked for 2 minutes more. Apparently, she spoke too fast coz of the nerves. >.<