Playing an instrument counts as creativity, right?

lollero

I just wanted to make sure that playing an instrument (or singing) counts as creativity. I'm in IB2 and basically all my creativity hours are from playing the guitar, piano or singing and now my CAS coordinator (who at the beginning of IB1 said that playing an instrument was indeed creativity) started complaining about how playing an instrument should count as action and not creativity, as only performing with the instrument is creativity. However, I won't be able to perform anywhere this year (due to my stage fright and lack of opportunities to do so), and I haven't performed with e.g. guitar which I haven't been playing for a while.

So, is my coordinator just being stupid (which wouldn't be the first time) and can I still count the hours as creativity? If you have played an instrument, what have you counted it as and have you performed in front of an audience?

Guest KAPOWW!!

I just wanted to make sure that playing an instrument (or singing) counts as creativity. I'm in IB2 and basically all my creativity hours are from playing the guitar, piano or singing and now my CAS coordinator (who at the beginning of IB1 said that playing an instrument was indeed creativity) started complaining about how playing an instrument should count as action and not creativity, as only performing with the instrument is creativity. However, I won't be able to perform anywhere this year (due to my stage fright and lack of opportunities to do so), and I haven't performed with e.g. guitar which I haven't been playing for a while.

So, is my coordinator just being stupid (which wouldn't be the first time) and can I still count the hours as creativity? If you have played an instrument, what have you counted it as and have you performed in front of an audience?

LOL I've been a similar fix. Take IB into your own hands ditch co-ordinators and teacher, because their ego is not as important as you getting the diploma, this decides the rest of you life for christ's sake.

Though one thing I must say is that Only playing the instrument for creativity is far from a good idea. You need to diversify, there still is time, I'm year 2 too :).

This website says playing an instrument counts. So does this. one. Try to avoid quarrel with your co-ordinator(leave that kinda stuff to me.. ;):P) just show her these links and kindly ask here why he opinion has changed suddenly, is this 'specification' in an IB workshop or guideline??_ if so, ask which one, if all this checks out, comply, but re-check, context is a b*tch haha!

You find this post interesting:

There's loads to do for Creativity: join the acapella or show choir, be a part of the Theatre department in some capacity, you don't need to be onstage and act, you can work as Stage Crew or help write and direct if you have the talent. Become a reporter for the school newspaper and if you don't have a school newspaper, start one while collaborating with the school. Learn to play a musical instrument or join the school band.
-funny co-incedence is you'll find the user 'Arrowhead' on IB survival too, ask him if you want to.

Hope I helped! :)

• Like 1

I played guitar for creativity hours and it was fine with my CAS coordinator (went to Tikkurila lukio IB). Basically one of my guitar related CAS-projects was actually the guitar lessons that I took during IB, which involved performances as a mandatory part of the lessons at the given musical institute. I also had another project, which involved a band that we put together with a couple of fellow musician IB students in my class. We took part in the Finnish national high school curriculum's band course --> so we counted practices and the actual performance involved as CAS hours. I didn't however ask for CAS for just playing guitar at home or somewhere else if that's what you mean, I would have filled my CAS hours many times over with that, because you generally need a supervisor for CAS-projects. The supervisors in the two mentioned projects were my guitar instructor and the school music teacher respectively.

Edited by ocfx

actually I'd say you should believe whatever your supervisor says because he's the one to determine if you pass or fail CAS, i.e. whether you get the diploma. I mean, yes it gets moderated but if your supervisor says no then... there you go.

I joined choir for 3 quarters, but in the end we joined a competition so all the practices and competition count as CAS. try to perform like at your school or something?

It really depends from school to school, because as Desy said, your coordinator is the one that decides it in the end. For example, I've seen examples on this site saying how some students could paint a house for action hours, while my CAS coordinator would probably say it falls under service - and also, it doesn't count for CAS if it's for family.

I would say find information online, proving how it is creativity. If your coordinator still says no, theres not much you can do.

• Like 1

Its up to your coordinator as the others have said but just as an example my coordinator states that you must perform in order to get creativity, to generalize whatever the creative activity it has to be shown to the public somehow. So your coordinator seems similar to mine. I would try to just say that rehearsing for a performance counts and say the final act of all of the practice was some public show of your choice. You could post performances to the internet somewhat anonymously but show it to your coordinator, give a small recital for friends, or whatever. I'm sure if you try to meet them halfway you could get all of those practice hours. Be sure to mention how you are trying to overcome a fear with small steps.