EE Idea.....would it work?

Sarabunny

I am barely a junior but my english teacher recommended I start thinking about topics now. I wanted to do a biology paper but I wasn't sure of a specific topic.

Until Now....

I raise rabbits and I want to write my EE on rabbit genetics, and was thinking of breeding two colors of rabbit together to demonstrate the genetics behind it based on what colors I get. Like breed a black rabbit to a white rabbit and predict what colors I would get etc.

What do you think? I still have a whole semester before we start to work on it but its just an idea. You think it could work?

Okay basically what I think about this EE on biology is the following: it is very time consuming and quite simple, it lacks on depth. Mendel's law are already stablished so you wouldn't be doing anything new or formualting an original research question. I'm pretty sure that biology examiners already know for sure what happens with the first and second generation of individuals depending if they are homozygous or heterozygous. Anyways, what if something goes wrong with the experiment? Even though rabbits reproduce very fast, I'm sure that you'll be hurrying up with your drafts and if something goes wrong with the actual experiment, such as forgetting or not inquiring enough about the type of rabbits you used (Heterozygous or homozygous), everything would be a failure. Anyways, the conclusions you would be likely to formulate had already been stablished by mendel such as the segregation law. I seriously discourage this topic, it lacks in originality, a thinking process and it has a high degree of error.

What would happen if you are not able to identify the recessive and dominant genes in the "source" rabbits. It'd be pretty difficult to stablish some patterns in the colors you would get. Plus, that's not really interesting until you start proving your thesis with second generation rabbits and I doubt you'll have enough time to be present in this situation.

In conclusion, I think you should start thinking of another topic :)

Edited by Procrastination
  • Like 2

Biology is way too boring, difficult and like Procrastination said, TIME CONSUMING. Go for Philosophy or English. Oh, and it all depends on your favorite/best subjects. I have Physics SL, but I love it, and I'll study Theoretical Physics in University (Couldn't choose it as HL because my school messed us up). But I'm doing my EE on Physics. It's all about your favorite subjects and the ones you're best at! Good luck ;)

Hmmm....okay. The only thing I've been told is to pick something that interests me. I am really good at english but am hesitant because it doesn't really interest me too much and since it would just be analyzing a book (am I correct in thinking this?) that would be boring, unoriginal, and I'm sure they've read analysis for any book I could pick a thousand times already....I was trying to be original to an extent but I guess that may be hard to do..?

Any ideas? I'm totally at a loss for what to do :( I'm afraid of running out of time and having to pick a recycled topic that had been done hundreds of times before me that I will be totally bored with...

Biology does not need to be neither boring, difficult, nor time-consuming. It all depends on you. Personally, if I had chosen to do something such as English, I would've have a much harder time because I'm terrible at analyzing literature. Furthermore, since I don't need to organize an experiment or anything, there's a good chance I would leave reading my English books until the last second, and then do a terrible job.

Also, Procrastination has a very good point. The idea is fairly unoriginal, as well as unnecessarily time-consuming.

Lastly, the IBO has very strict policies on how animals are treated during experiments, which is what my mentor told me. The problem arises mainly because the IBO isn't sure what you would do with the animals after you are finished, even if you never mistreated them during the actual experiment.Now, this does not apply to plants or bacteria, but if dealing with bacteria, no bacteria that can affect the human body, grown at human body temperature, can be used. I would suggest using plants.

However you can also approach biology from a physiological aspect, which I did. Look in my signature for my biology EE topic. I dealt with human beings, but since I didn't blatantly torture them, I was good. :) Also, my friend's experiment involved humans too, and his made them suffer more. They actually had to do exercise.

Be careful when picking a Biology EE topic, it can take a very long time.

Trying expanding into the plant/bacterial/physiological aspects I talked about?

• Like 1