IB Art HL: is it worth the time?

Xydan

I'm just starting IB this year, and I have absolutely no idea what to choose. I'm currently taking Physics HL, English HL, and Arts HL.

I'm really hoping to get into either Architecture or Law in University, with Engineering as a back up.

Is Art HL worth the time and effort put in? I know a lot of people who say it is a huge amount of work, and not very worth it. Should I drop it and take up another Science? Or take History HL.

(I'm actually done gr. 12 Chem, so will that help me in Chem HL?)

Any opinions?

Guest buildabrig

IMO, it's always a relief to have a 'fun' subject, something creative to take your mind off all the other essays and writing involved in other subjects.

It will help a lot with architecture. I'm only in my first year of IB taking HL art, but it's already clear to me that if art is only worth it if you are willing to put in the effort and stay self motivated.

Basically, take art HL if you really want to, if not - take up another science or history.

Art is a beautiful subject but I had to drop out after a month to do history as I'm going to do law. It really is a fantastic subject for your personal development, but highly unpractical for entry into premier universities as it is difficult to score highly and also it is not a prerequisite or a 'preferred subject (for law, lit, classics etc.)'

Seriously tho if you are a good artist, pursue your passions man

As mentioned above, if you're going into architecture, then pick art. However, if art ISNT something you love to do, and you think there's an equal chance of going into law or engineering, don't take it. It can be really fun if it's what you like doing, but don't bother taking it unless you need it for architecture, when there are other subjects you could take to help you with law or engineering.

I'm in HL Art. My Senior year, and to tell you the truth- sometimes your best work is in a creative piece. Art can calm you, and it's fun, but also you get to do what you want usually in IB Art, so pretty much you could be practicing some architecture/building pieces :) But in Art you do investigations too! You talk and critique your own art work to your examiner! It opens you up! DO IT. I found a lot more of myself when I took up IB Art.

YES! of course it is worth the time! it is an awesome class, and taking it in SL would be unworthy of your time. it is a fun class and its not that challenging because it is art, and the only writing you do is for your IWB and it is only one page a day. if you put the effort in, it would definitely be worth it!

• 1 year later...

YES! of course it is worth the time! it is an awesome class, and taking it in SL would be unworthy of your time. it is a fun class and its not that challenging because it is art, and the only writing you do is for your IWB and it is only one page a day. if you put the effort in, it would definitely be worth it!

Is VA at SL much less work than at HL? Do UK universities require VA at HL for architecture courses?

Is VA at SL much less work than at HL?

Actually, I'm under the impression that HL isn't that more than SL - something about HL having one extra final piece, and a few other extras? The difference is small enough that someone in my school picked up VA HL as a fourth HL because she might as well.

You'll have to check with someone who knows VA better than I do, though. It's difficult to tell from the IB Syllabus sometimes the disparity of work being SL and HL; I can tell you for a fact I didn't expect SL and HL Psych to be so similar.