Math Studies and Calculus

Sarabunny

Okay, so somebody told me that people taking math studies like I am are required to take calculus next year, while other people say it is just an option. Is it required? My other HL is in biology so I don't see how it is necessary. Also, will it really hinder my chances of getting into college because I didn't take calculus or is an IB diploma paired with a good GPA and SAT scores good enough for a decent college? (UC Davis for the Americans if that helps any). (The college I want requires a score of at least 30 in IB to accept it)

If SL or HL Maths is not a prerequisite for any course you might want to get into, Maths Studies should be fine, I'm guessing. In the studies syllabus, basic calculus is learned (just differentiation really). I'm not quite sure how your school works with taking Calculus as a separate course though :S

hey, this is probably a bit late. I've always wanted to post this but forgot lol.

Calculus is in the Maths Studies syllabus, so yes you MUST take calculus. it's only an introductory differential calculus course, though. you'll learn a bit of differentiation, tangents, stationary points and that's it. in case you are worried, those are very basic and easy to learn, so don't worry.

if you don't believe me, go check the syllabus yourself. go to the Files section, General IB Downloads, IB Syllabus, find the Maths Studies one.

good luck with it!