How would I make this my EE?

Bradley

For my EE I was planning to do a Media Studies EE based on the video game series Call of Duty, however I've come into my first problem as Media Studies is not an IB subject. Would it work if I adapt my EE to something along the lines of "How the modern perception of historical wars is skewed because of video games", or "The distortion of historical events in video games". I'm not sure as to the substance of a topic like that, so any help would result in a deep sense of gratitude.

Firstly you should come up with what subject you want to do this is. May I suggest ITGS? Although by talking about wars you're mixing in a bit of history in there. Since this by no means qualifies as a history EE, you would need to be very specific and precise about your arguments and make sure you talk more about the ethical and technological side of it.

My advice to you for the moment is to read some subject specific criteria, and figure out a subject. If the subject specific criteria allows you to have this question as your EE research question, then refine it a little, and you're on your way. If not, you may have to think of something else.

• Like 1

Firstly you should come up with what subject you want to do this is. May I suggest ITGS? Although by talking about wars you're mixing in a bit of history in there. Since this by no means qualifies as a history EE, you would need to be very specific and precise about your arguments and make sure you talk more about the ethical and technological side of it.

My advice to you for the moment is to read some subject specific criteria, and figure out a subject. If the subject specific criteria allows you to have this question as your EE research question, then refine it a little, and you're on your way. If not, you may have to think of something else.

I'll get started on that, when I finish my homework (haha)

Thanks ye' kindest of strangers, may you experience a tomorrow of limitless possibility and satisfaction

Currently I'm leaning towards "An investigation into the historical inaccuracies of the Call of Duty video game franchise"?, but that question has no easy way to attach ethical considerations, and investigation would mostly consist of finding inconsistencies between the game and history, which is easy to research, but I'd have to consider the fact that Treyarch did try to make Call of Duty accurate. Would that make it better to focus more on the significance of the inaccuracies (or lack of)...

I don't to be led through this on baby steps, but this is the first major work I've ever done. (insert sob story about lack of extension at abhorred school doing NCEA)

Guest KAPOWW!!

Currently I'm leaning towards "An investigation into the historical inaccuracies of the Call of Duty video game franchise"?, but that question has no easy way to attach ethical considerations, and investigation would mostly consist of finding inconsistencies between the game and history, which is easy to research, but I'd have to consider the fact that Treyarch did try to make Call of Duty accurate. Would that make it better to focus more on the significance of the inaccuracies (or lack of)...

I don't to be led through this on baby steps, but this is the first major work I've ever done. (insert sob story about lack of extension at abhorred school doing NCEA)

Hey, I hope you don't get into trouble for finding flaws in COD, god hope this doesn't turn legal ;):P

I strongly feel you should choose another EE topic, since your current topic, is not an overlap of IB subjects but barely any one of them. That said all the best ! (Y)

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is asking too much, but can anyone see a way to easily turn my initial idea (the inaccuracies in CoD franchise) into a EE topic, or would it be better for me to think of something else...

Essays are one of the only things I have trouble with, so I'm trying to get as much help as possible from superiors.

Apologies from being akin to an annoying puppy.

Guest KAPOWW!!

I'm not sure if this is asking too much, but can anyone see a way to easily turn my initial idea (the inaccuracies in CoD franchise) into a EE topic, or would it be better for me to think of something else...

Essays are one of the only things I have trouble with, so I'm trying to get as much help as possible from superiors.

Apologies from being akin to an annoying puppy.

Hmm..does CoD tell the tale of a particular battle? Like I played Battlefield 1992 or something, and I was part of wars like " El Alamein" and "Kursk". If it does, pick a few which seem to have gaping inaccuracies and work with those, Though you need to be History for this my man! are you? But besides that, corporates are smart, so don't go knitpicking on these guys, there will always be a t&c apply or this is a creation of fiction clause that will make your EE take a dive... :) I'm a gamer too, past addict..lol but I think you should let go of incorporating games in your EE since there no subject like Gaming & Technology so the bridge you create to link your EE to your Subject is based on far-fetched things. I hope that wasn't rude but, I think you need to see the point here. :)

• Like 1