How hard is it to score at least a 5 in art (SL)?

Kati

At our school the past art results were rather disappointing and I heard that it is damn hard to score good easily. I think the highest grade in SL was a 5 and the highest in HL a 4 for this year's graduates. I'm doing option B at SL and was wondering if it is as easy to score at least a 5 in art as it is in other subjects. What do I need to do in order to do well and what does the examiner look for?

cheers

No, it´s actually not hard at all, especially for SL. For SLB you will need to unveil your process during the two IB years. The examiners want to see your development as an artist, they want you to explore cultures, express your likes/dislikes in your artworks. You need to think critically and establish a mere relationship between your artworks and your investigation workbook. You must try and re try artworks, and show growth in your process as an artist. You must critically evaluate your artworks and your process as well. It is a good idea that your artworks are related to global issues, and by the means of the latter you must express your views/opinions as an inquirier. Be original, try different materials and techniques, explore differing artists. Express feelings in each artwork and IWB page. Last tip, write, write and write in your IWB, you should aim at 3 or 4 pages per week. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips! How do you mean try and re-try artworks? I don't think I have the time to do artworks over and over again until they are flawless. Oh and our teacher told us that we shouldn't try too many different media because it is more valuable to go into more depth with only a few different media. I'm a bit confused...

Oh and is there like a minimum page number we should have? I know that only 30 are going to be sent away, so why bother to do 3-4 a week?

Thanks for the tips! How do you mean try and re-try artworks? I don't think I have the time to do artworks over and over again until they are flawless. Oh and our teacher told us that we shouldn't try too many different media because it is more valuable to go into more depth with only a few different media. I'm a bit confused...

Oh and is there like a minimum page number we should have? I know that only 30 are going to be sent away, so why bother to do 3-4 a week?

By trying and re trying artworks I mean that you unveil your process and your capacity of thinking over and over again your artwork. Your art piece can change during the process. For example, you're in the middle of an artwork and you decide to change several features because you realized that several factors affected your piece, or it would be more valuable if... or it would reflect its aim in a better way if... (This is the process that the IB wants, but be careful, don't do this in all of your artworks)

Don't just do an artwork cause you're into it, try to think it through. I'm not saying that you should re try all of your artworks, but if you're unsatisfied by one, you should re try it in a different way. And yes, you're teacher is right you should stick with a specific media, but before sticking to one, you should try and discover other tons of media. Don't just stick to a media for the sake of it, just stick to a media you really like and you get good results with. Remember IB wants diversity.

Yes I know that the IB wants a sample of your pages, but by writing 3 - 4 pages per week you enter in a real process, not just a process of a page per week. The IWB is great. I got low score in it, because I wrote most of the pages at the end of the course, but then I realized that if you want to lead an actual process you should write millions of pages. It's like a personal diary, or like the CAS diary. Good Luck! Keep messaging me for further queries! I'd love to help you through it! :D

Edited by bigbangfan

Since you're standard level, yes it should be pretty easy to score a 5, especially since you're doing SLB where more emphasis is on your IWB.

At my school, we get alot of 5's and 6's at HL and alot of 6's and 7's at SL. It all depends on how much time and effort you want to put into your work. (but we do option A where more emphasis is on our studio pieces)

I feel that if you show:

-cultural research (of artists and of your culture)

-have gallery visits (showing pictures of artists pieces that were on show there, a few sketches you did while at the gallery, and what you thought overall of the gallery)

-experimentation of media

-inspirations (which should most often come from researching other artists)

-links to yourself

-observational studies

you should be alright:)

This is what i think you should do when you are planning your studio pieces (in order):

1) Ideas of piece (i.e. brain storming your piece)<try to have more than one idea then pick the best one, most ideas that you think of will never be done anyway, so just put ANY idea that you have into your IWB>

2) Artist research / Cultural research / Art Gallery Visits

3) Experiment with the media that the artist used (and comment on this)

4) Write if you are inspired about the artist and whether you want to modify the idea of your piece (which i think you should do in most cases)

5) observational studies

6) Development of studio piece

7) Further Development of studio piece

*by now you should start your studio piece*

8) Progressive pictures of your studio piece (so the examiner will be able to see that YOU did the piece)

9) Final picture of piece with comments on how you found doing the piece.

Also, if you go on holiday, take your IWB, a pencil and maybe charcoal or any media you CAN take with you and sketch while you're in the different country, visit art gallerys, interview artists. It will show the examiner you take this subject seriously.

This is all a few tips that could help you get that 5, even possibly a 6. Well i think it will because thats what we do and our school gets quite high marks for visual arts (i think its maybe because our teacher is Bosnian and an amazing artist herself)

If you want more help with ideas or anything, pm me :)

xx