I need help with my research question..

0annette0

What I am going to do is use a mechanical seismograph and an electrical seismograph t investigate the seismic movement of Lima, where I live, for a certain period of time of about 3-months. I do not know how to narrow down my research question though and my supervisor said that it was too broad.. any advice?

I have: Using a mechanical and an electrical seismograph, what can I conclude about the seismic movement of Lima from ______ to _____ after analyzing my results?

Guest KAPOWW!!

What I am going to do is use a mechanical seismograph and an electrical seismograph t investigate the seismic movement of Lima, where I live, for a certain period of time of about 3-months. I do not know how to narrow down my research question though and my supervisor said that it was too broad.. any advice?

I have: Using a mechanical and an electrical seismograph, what can I conclude about the seismic movement of Lima from ______ to _____ after analyzing my results?

Find the difference between the title and Research question. The title should preferably be concise yet informative. Where as your research questions can be more scientific and long. Now I know you're already talking about research question but bring this to your teacher's notice. You can keep the research question longer.

Now to frame it. I think the reason its long, is its personal, make it scientific; here: " Studying the seismic movement of Lima over 3months/Jan to March/nothing(just till Lima)." PS- I'm not a geography student, but I hope that you don't think, this 1 research question will get you 4000 words! I suggest picking a second, it must be on the same or similar track of course.

Now you're teacher won't like me for telling you this, but saying that you specifically studying the seismic movements in the months Jan to March is not worth mentioning in research question IMHO, since it gives the examiner the impression that something special, worth measuring especially in those 3 months is happening, which I doubt is the case, the arks for the 2012 floods are being built in Tibet ;) ;P :D

On the whole, I like your topic, very spooky, given the reading you can get with 2012 closing in on us, I hope I helped, all the best! :)

• Like 1

Find the difference between the title and Research question. The title should preferably be concise yet informative. Where as your research questions can be more scientific and long. Now I know you're already talking about research question but bring this to your teacher's notice. You can keep the research question longer.

Now to frame it. I think the reason its long, is its personal, make it scientific; here: " Studying the seismic movement of Lima over 3months/Jan to March/nothing(just till Lima)." PS- I'm not a geography student, but I hope that you don't think, this 1 research question will get you 4000 words! I suggest picking a second, it must be on the same or similar track of course.

Now you're teacher won't like me for telling you this, but saying that you specifically studying the seismic movements in the months Jan to March is not worth mentioning in research question IMHO, since it gives the examiner the impression that something special, worth measuring especially in those 3 months is happening, which I doubt is the case, the arks for the 2012 floods are being built in Tibet ;) ;P :D

On the whole, I like your topic, very spooky, given the reading you can get with 2012 closing in on us, I hope I helped, all the best! :)

Thanks! that was very helpful actually!