Two applications to LSE

The Economist

Well, I have almost finalized my university list for an undergraduate degree in Economics, but I still have not made a decision on my 5th university.

I will certainly be applying to LSE (for economics), UCL (same), Warwick (same), Edinburgh (same). As a 5th choice I was considering Oxbridge but my university choices are risky enough with LSE and UCL.

I really cannot make up my mind and I do not feel that I want to study at Oxbridge. As a result, I started considering the possibility of applying for a second course at LSE which is closely related to

Economics and it is Economics and Economic History. I went through the course structure of Economics and Economic History and I must admit, it seems really interesting. Also, it has lower entry requirements (37 with 6,6,6 in HL - including Maths) compared to pure Economics which asks for 38 with 7 in maths HL. I do know that competition is fierce when it comes to LSE and if I sent two applications to LSE (for both of the above courses), they would probably

be reviewed by the same department. So, do you think it will be a waste to sent two applications to LSE? Compared to Oxbridge I do want to go to LSE and that is why I am kind of biased and I cannot make up my mind.

PS I can show an interest for both Econ. History and Economics in my personal statement so that is not much of an issue right now.

Well, I have almost finalized my university list for an undergraduate degree in Economics, but I still have not made a decision on my 5th university.

I will certainly be applying to LSE (for economics), UCL (same), Warwick (same), Edinburgh (same). As a 5th choice I was considering Oxbridge but my university choices are risky enough with LSE and UCL.

I really cannot make up my mind and I do not feel that I want to study at Oxbridge. As a result, I started considering the possibility of applying for a second course at LSE which is closely related to

Economics and it is Economics and Economic History. I went through the course structure of Economics and Economic History and I must admit, it seems really interesting. Also, it has lower entry requirements (37 with 6,6,6 in HL - including Maths) compared to pure Economics which asks for 38 with 7 in maths HL. I do know that competition is fierce when it comes to LSE and if I sent two applications to LSE (for both of the above courses), they would probably

be reviewed by the same department. So, do you think it will be a waste to sent two applications to LSE? Compared to Oxbridge I do want to go to LSE and that is why I am kind of biased and I cannot make up my mind.

PS I can show an interest for both Econ. History and Economics in my personal statement so that is not much of an issue right now.

Tbh, I considered doing something similar at one point, but then decided against it. There is a podcast on the LSE website that you should listen to. It's about Undergraduate Admissions and it goes on for about 15 minutes, but the speaker does address the issue of applying to LSE for more than one degree. While his example in the podcast was extreme (making all 5 applications to LSE), he strictly advised against it.

Besides even if the requirements for Economics History maybe lower, they only accept like 8-10 students in that department a year.

If I find the link to that podcast, I'll edit this post and attach the link.

EDIT: Here's the link, listen to these podcasts, they will help you loads. And if you have any specific questions about LSE, I will be happy to answer them. :)

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 2

Tbh, I considered doing something similar at one point, but then decided against it. There is a podcast on the LSE website that you should listen to. It's about Undergraduate Admissions and it goes on for about 15 minutes, but the speaker does address the issue of applying to LSE for more than one degree. While his example in the podcast was extreme (making all 5 applications to LSE), he strictly advised against it.

Besides even if the requirements for Economics History maybe lower, they only accept like 8-10 students in that department a year.

If I find the link to that podcast, I'll edit this post and attach the link.

EDIT: Here's the link, listen to these podcasts, they will help you loads. And if you have any specific questions about LSE, I will be happy to answer them. :)

I just started listening to the podcast and the speaker said that it may be flattering to apply for more than one program, but the applicant seems quite desperate to get into LSE and they do not like desperate students :P

Thank you so much! You kind of saved me :)

I have another question now. Do you think I should apply for pure Economics of Economics and Economic History?

Yes, you are right on the places offered for Econ. history, but the applications are far lower too (with the success rate rising from 5.71% for pure Economics (in 3 sfg) to 6.92% for Econ. and Econ. History). I believe though, that not having History as a subject could be a disadvantage for the Econ. History course so I will probably go for pure Economics. I would love to hear your opinion though :)

I think that not having taken History at HL when applying for Economic History might be disadvantageous, but not a deal breaker necessarily.

I dunno what to advise you to be honest. I'm in Law, which is pretty far off from the Economics department. But I do have a number of friends in Pure Economics and the occasional acquaintance in Economic History. I guess, in the past year, I've found that the Economics students are really really intense when studying and partying, but the Economic History and Econometrics students tended to be more closed off. I know it's bad to stereotype, but that was the general impression I got.

I think both departments are wonderful, but it would benefit your application more to apply for Economics to all your universities exclusively.

Cheers,

Arrowhead.