Is a 3 or 4 in Math SL adequate?

prongsy

Hi,

I just started year 1 IB in Standard Level mathematics. I've never thought of myself as good at math and have typically gotten mid to high 70s in previous high-school math courses (Pre-IB). I was wondering: if I want to go into a career in humanities (most likely history or english) will universities in Canada frown upon a 3 or 4 in math SL if I have good grades in all my other subjects? My friend says they won't care what I got in Math if I'm not applying for math or science. I hate functions and find myself unreasonably stressed out because of mathematics. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, in IB do we still apply with our top 6 grades? Here are all my current subjects if it helps anyone.

HL English

HL History

HL Biology

SL Geography

SL Math

SL French (1 in first semester, 1 in second semester and then exams this spring)

SL Theory of Knowledge

Yes a 3 or 4 will hurt your changes, since it will decrease your overall ib grade.

If you really want to go into humanities just take Math studies which is significantly easier than Math SL. You can expect a higher IB total.

Different areas of studies have different requirements. Most sciences and other departments require Math SL.

When you apply to unis, you use your predicted grades, not top 6 marks. Nobody cares about your "BC" provinicial exams

Edit: Oh by the way this is the wrong section.

Edited by Atheist

Yes a 3 or 4 will hurt your changes, since it will decrease your overall ib grade.

If you really want to go into humanities just take Math studies which is significantly easier than Math SL. You can expect a higher IB total.

Different areas of studies have different requirements. Most sciences and other departments require Math SL.

When you apply to unis, you use your predicted grades, not top 6 marks. Nobody cares about your "BC" provinicial exams

Edit: Oh by the way this is the wrong section.

thanks. sorry, i'm new, what section would it go in? and what if Math Studies is not available at my school?

how hard typically is SL math, would I have to work really hard to achieve a 5? what if I get above 5 in everything except math and I get a 4 in math?

Post by: Mahuta

In the Maths section!

Edited by Mahuta ♥

If Math Studies is not available in your school, you're kinda ruined. There's nothing you can do about it.

Universities don't really care if you took Math SL or Math Studies for a humanity, however, they pay a lot of attention to your final IB score, so even though it won't be of much help in your career, you still have to get high scores in order to be acepted in some universities.

Math SL is not THAT difficult but you definetely have to pay a lot of attention and at least have some strong bases in Math. I'd like to think about it as something in which you need to be able to read very well (In a mathematical way), carry some processes, use logic and some reason. Anyways, It is not easy at all, if you want to get a 5, you'll have to work hard on it.

If you get a 4 in Math and in everything else you get 5+, your final IB score will decrease (And this is the most important thing). Plus, some universities want to see that you're able to challenge yourself so taking Math SL is not really that BAD, it gives you more knowledge and develops your mental processes. In a hypothetical case, if you get 4 or less in Math SL and in everything else 5, the highest thing you'd be able to accomplish would be 32 points (With 3 points awarded for TOK and EE), which isn't really THAAT IMPRESSIVE.

Edited by Procrastination

It's funny. I applied everywhere in the UK for Law, which I think is safe to say is far far away from any Science-based or Maths course. Yet some of my offers from Universities included a specific condition for Maths. King's asked me to get a 6 in HL English and a 5 in SL Maths with an overall 38, Warwick wanted a 5 in HL English and a 4 in SL Maths with an overall 36.

But that's the UK. I'm assuming things must be different in Canada at the Universities you're going to apply to. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Actually I would find out more from offer holders about their conditions (do they give conditional or unconditional offers in Canada?) and take it from there.

When I read-up on college applications, they actually get the total score you get. For example, in Oxford University, you just need a total of 38 points to get in, and they don't put a grade, as long as you pass.

Don't panic. So, its okay if you get low scores in Math, as long as you get super high on others to get a good total score, and you simply get a 3, or you pass. :D

So, go for it! :D

• Like 1

@The Filipino Limner, you're talking about a UK uni. OP is applying to Canada, so they might have a different policy.

if I remember correctly UofT doesn't accept Maths Studies so if you want to apply there don't drop down.

I only have UBC's prospectus so I read through it and apparently they don't require you to score a certain score in each subject. only the final total grade is important. for some courses you're required to take certain subjects but you don't have to score a certain score in those subjects. there's an exception though, for all Science courses you have to get minimum a 3 in Maths SL or HL.

I think you should not worry. firstly because you're not applying for a Maths-based course so it's very unlikely that they will require you to score X in subject Y. secondly because MATHS SL IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!! with mid to high 70s you could get at least a 5!!! and I'm being honest. unless you're taking Maths HL which I don't think you'll like at all and should be afraid of.

stay in Maths SL and for God's sake please stop worrying.

PS. TOK has no standard/higher level, rofl

• 1 month later...

Dont settle for a 3 or 4... You can always do better, here some advice

1) Look at past examples of questions

2) Practice the questions in the textbook after looking at the examples

3) do past papers, and go over it with the mark scheme

Try to dedicate most of your time to maths since its very important

• Like 1