English Extended Essay

OmarMC

I did the same thing by from changing my EE to english. You should think of themes and similarities that you can draw from the two novels, and how are such themes raised in the two novels, i.e. such as characterization, structure, plot, literary techniques, etc.

While i'm here, i'd also like to ask, is it okay to choose a nonfiction novel for our English EE if we are taking it for our group 2 subject?? I chose the book 'Have a Little Faith' by Mitch Albom, and am worried that I can't use it for my EE.. HELP PLEASE

Edited by matthew muliadi

I did the same thing by from changing my EE to english. You should think of themes and similarities that you can draw from the two novels, and how are such themes raised in the two novels, i.e. such as characterization, structure, plot, literary techniques, etc.

While i'm here, i'd also like to ask, is it okay to choose a nonfiction novel for our English EE if we are taking it for our group 2 subject?? I chose the book 'Have a Little Faith' by Mitch Albom, and am worried that I can't use it for my EE.. HELP PLEASE

i wish i could help but im new to the English subject so i really dont know, im sorry man

So i finally changed me EE form history to english, i want to make my EE about shakespeare's A Midnight Summer & The Tempest but i really dont know how to formulate an EE essay quetion concerning both of these books

any suggestions would be helpful

Do you mean A Midsummer's Night Dream? I'm pretty sure I've never heard of A Midnight Summer and I've read a lot of Shakespeare and I wrote my EE on it. Heads up, you should try to get the names of the plays you want to write your EE on right, at the very least.

Secondly, they're plays, not books, get in the habit of calling them plays. Furthermore, read them very carefully if you can, try to find recorded performances of these plays on youtube or somewhere and watch them, I'm sure movies have also been made, watch them. There's much more to be done than simply reading Shakespeare because remember these are plays that are meant to be watched not read.

After thoroughly reading and watching the plays, read a lot of critical analyses (and trust me, there are loads) about them. See what famous and obscure literary scholars have had to say and how these plays have been interpreted. Once you've done all your background research and actually know enough to comment, then start wondering about your RQ and penning things down. When your research is done, the actual writing of the essay can be done in a single day if you put your mind to it, because you already know or have at hand all the important points.

I did the same thing by from changing my EE to english. You should think of themes and similarities that you can draw from the two novels, and how are such themes raised in the two novels, i.e. such as characterization, structure, plot, literary techniques, etc.While i'm here, i'd also like to ask, is it okay to choose a nonfiction novel for our English EE if we are taking it for our group 2 subject?? I chose the book 'Have a Little Faith' by Mitch Albom, and am worried that I can't use it for my EE.. HELP PLEASE

As far as I know, you have to do your EE on fiction, but since you're in English B or A2 or whatever, you have more flexible rules. I would read the EE syllabus guide-thing that the IB prints and see what it has to say. Then accordingly, make a judgment call on whether or not the non-fiction book is something worth pursuing or not.

Also, Have a Little Faith? Really? Of all the Mitch Albom books that one caught your fancy? It's not even very well written like Tuesdays with Morrie or The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Really, read more of his work, you can do much better.

Edited by Arrowhead

• 2 weeks later...
So i finally changed me EE form history to english, i want to make my EE about shakespeare's A Midnight Summer & The Tempest but i really dont know how to formulate an EE essay quetion concerning both of these books

any suggestions would be helpful

Do you mean A Midsummer's Night Dream? I'm pretty sure I've never heard of A Midnight Summer and I've read a lot of Shakespeare and I wrote my EE on it. Heads up, you should try to get the names of the plays you want to write your EE on right, at the very least.

Secondly, they're plays, not books, get in the habit of calling them plays. Furthermore, read them very carefully if you can, try to find recorded performances of these plays on youtube or somewhere and watch them, I'm sure movies have also been made, watch them. There's much more to be done than simply reading Shakespeare because remember these are plays that are meant to be watched not read.

After thoroughly reading and watching the plays, read a lot of critical analyses (and trust me, there are loads) about them. See what famous and obscure literary scholars have had to say and how these plays have been interpreted. Once you've done all your background research and actually know enough to comment, then start wondering about your RQ and penning things down. When your research is done, the actual writing of the essay can be done in a single day if you put your mind to it, because you already know or have at hand all the important points.

Thanks, and i have watched A Midsummer Night's Dream movie and read The Tempest in class

but yet i am inbdecisive about the question i just cant finish it To what extent does Shakespeare use magical creatures in The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream ___________

Yup, like arrowhead, make sure you get the names of the plays correctly. It is essential.

For the writing part, look at the similarities among them, and maybe, even the differences. You may also talk about how the history of the time affected the stories if you're still attached to history. You can also work on other parts of the play, the elements of fiction used, hero cycle?

There are many things to talk about, just select which one you can relate to the most, and which one will be easiest for you!