How important are counterclaims in the TOK Essay?

dessskris

straight to the point, if I only consider some counterclaims, I can only get maximum a 6 in criterion C. so if I want to get a better mark, does that mean I have to present a counterargument for every single point I make?

I have 4 body paragraphs, with one thesis statement in each paragraph. will I need to present a counterclaim in each paragraph then?

or what about a only two counterclaims in the whole essay?

I have difficulties interpreting the TOK Assessment Criteria because I'm not familiar with them. any idea would be highly appreciated.

straight to the point, if I only consider some counterclaims, I can only get maximum a 6 in criterion C. so if I want to get a better mark, does that mean I have to present a counterargument for every single point I make?

I have 4 body paragraphs, with one thesis statement in each paragraph. will I need to present a counterclaim in each paragraph then?

or what about a only two counterclaims in the whole essay?

I have difficulties interpreting the TOK Assessment Criteria because I'm not familiar with them. any idea would be highly appreciated.

It is not necessary to have a counter claim for every claim. Indeed some statements are generally accepted to be true and coming with a counter claim can be very difficult. What examiners like to see though is an evaluation of each claim you make in a claim, counter claim format. If you have four claims it you should be able to find at least 3 counter claims quite naturally and if these are put after each claim that would be the best structure.

As for the criteria, the use of counter claims are only an element of the mark scheme.

The inquiry explores with a high degree of insight, in considerable depth and / or detail, knowledge issues. All main points are justified

and arguments are coherent and persuasive. Counterclaims are explored and evaluated. Implications and underlying assumptions of the essay’s argument are identified.

The main element in this criteria is using the title to derive knowledge issue(s) and forming an argument with different perspectives. For top marks notice the last phrase involving "underlying assumptions" (not all titles have assumptions though).

• Like 1