Lost !

Ticojm

My school has only been an IB school 2 years now. This is my first year in the IB program.(just started near a month ago)I feel like I should know far more about the program than what I've been provided with. 4 of my 7 IB classes are mixed with the curriculum of the standard high school. (I mean they're not even using IB textbooks)I don't know what to expect from these classes. Don't know if they're truly gonna provide the whole IB picture. Can't get my mind straight on what I should do. I'm just lost! I'm sorry if this is coming across as venting, but I really needed to get it out there. An extra opinion on what I should expect or do would be very appreciated,

Thanks.

Guest Achmed-The Dead Terrorist

That's a messed up situation. All I can do is to advise you how to prepare by yourself...

Look, go to Amazon and buy IB textbooks according to your subjects then, download all the Guides for each subject that the IB provides and follow each point from the guide, it will help a lot.

If you have any doubt, I'm sure your teachers will know the answer and you still have IBS :)

good luck mate!

by guides you were referring to the syllabi, right? it's the most important thing you need to have access to right now because I suppose you'd like to know which topics are IB topics and which are not. you're also lucky because we have syllabi in the Files section, General IB Downloads, IB Syllabus. they're available to all users.

well if you don't want to buy textbooks why not try your school library? mine has some IB textbooks by other publishers (I mean other than what we use in class) so there can be a lot of resources there.

otherwise you can try to look for ebooks (there are a number for some subjects), google it as I also am not very sure where to get them.

lastly why not ask your teacher? perhaps they have some ideas although your school is still very new to IB. and ask your alumni?

best of luck!

It much depend upon your subjects. For example if you have history then you do not need the IB textbooks but you can find other sources that are actually better in the material covered but you also have to study according to the syllabus. For natural sciences I am pretty sure that you are gonna need the textbooks (either official or from another publisher). When it comes to languages, it depends on the syllabus that your school cover (I mean the literary books or a possible course packet).

I didn't really understood how all this is going to work in your school, but I think this mixing of the IB subjects and the standard curriculum is gonna be a mess...

However, if you prepare well and if you be very organized with your time management then everything is gonna be fine :)

My advise is to check always the syllabus for each subject or even study from it (it works for chemistry sometimes).

by guides you were referring to the syllabi, right? it's the most important thing you need to have access to right now because I suppose you'd like to know which topics are IB topics and which are not. you're also lucky because we have syllabi in the Files section, General IB Downloads, IB Syllabus. they're available to all users.

well if you don't want to buy textbooks why not try your school library? mine has some IB textbooks by other publishers (I mean other than what we use in class) so there can be a lot of resources there.

otherwise you can try to look for ebooks (there are a number for some subjects), google it as I also am not very sure where to get them.

lastly why not ask your teacher? perhaps they have some ideas although your school is still very new to IB. and ask your alumni?

best of luck!

Thanks. I'll definitely make good use of those files. and my school hardly has a library (Its a very low budget charter school), so maybe I can look into the local public library.