Will this spoil my chances?

sarahlouise

Ok, so here's my situation.

In year 10 my school decided to bring in a random compulsory subject called Global Perspectives.We only took it for 2 hours per week, instead of the 4 hours per week that we should have had it, and I don't think any other schools had it as a compulsory subject either, just mine. Everyone thought it was a really bad class.

For one of the semesters, I failed or came close to failing a unit due to lack of communication on the teacher's part regarding work due in, and things like that. In the second semester I made up for it though, and got a safe pass.

In my whole high school experience (I'm now in year 11) I've worked hard, and received pretty much straight As from grade 7, except for maybe one or 2 Bs on report cards. My IB grades as of now are also all 6s and 7s.

On top of that, I do heaps of co-curriculars, but I won't go into them unless it is relevant.

Does that one semester in one hardly even properly done subject spoil my whole chances of getting into one of the Ivy Leagues or Stanford?

I think I finished that year in the subject with a B or C, either way a reasonable pass.

By the way I only ask this because I have heard that, for example, the Ivies look at grades all the way back to year 9.

Edited by sarahlouise

Well yeah, the Ivies look at grades all the way back to Year 9, but it's not your individual grades as much as your overall GPA that matters most.

In my case, I had a 3.5 GPA in Year 9, which fell to a 3.0 in the first semester of Year 10 (my highest grade was an A- in one subject), I got my act together and worked hard after that. I maintained a perfect, unweighted 4.0 from the second semester of Year 10 all the way until the end of High School (so for 5 semesters) and that was enough to get into Yale and Brown.

Don't sweat it too much. You're freaking out about the silliest of things.

• Like 1