Ideas for CAS service part

pennywise256

My CAS teacher seems to know nothing about it. She is usually changing the rules of the game very often. She asks us to do odd stuff and manipulating our reports, like changing the dates of the reports, or avoiding to write any date at all ! She say IB is constantly telling her new ways to work, which makes me go mad. We used to have a record of the hours we worked on each aspect. She said we had to complete at least 50 hours on each, so we added up a total of 150 at the end. It was so nice since I had 2.5 years to complete it. It was like 1 hour a week. But now she says it was changed, she says that now it's not about the hours, but about the projects. She wants we to complete 3 projects on each subject through these remaining 2 years. Is that true ? Did IB actually modify the way CAS will work ? She even asked us to change the year of the reports we completed on pre IB (when we didn't know we were doing pre instead of IB) so they look they were made on dates that do not yet come ! She's crazy and I'm getting so bewildered.

Could you give me a summary of what IB is currently asking for CAS ? And also some suggestions of what I could do for each area. I do some dancing for action, but no more. I guess service is the heavy part of it. I'm interested in kids who have autism, I think I could learn a lot from them. But I don't know and time is running out.

Also, If I go on an exchange abroad, should I take my IB diary with me ? Or I should start it over ?

Guest KAPOWW!!

My CAS teacher seems to know nothing about it. She is usually changing the rules of the game very often. She asks us to do odd stuff and manipulating our reports, like changing the dates of the reports, or avoiding to write any date at all ! She say IB is constantly telling her new ways to work, which makes me go mad. We used to have a record of the hours we worked on each aspect. She said we had to complete at least 50 hours on each, so we added up a total of 150 at the end. It was so nice since I had 2.5 years to complete it. It was like 1 hour a week. But now she says it was changed, she says that now it's not about the hours, but about the projects. She wants we to complete 3 projects on each subject through these remaining 2 years. Is that true ? Did IB actually modify the way CAS will work ? She even asked us to change the year of the reports we completed on pre IB (when we didn't know we were doing pre instead of IB) so they look they were made on dates that do not yet come ! She's crazy and I'm getting so bewildered.

Could you give me a summary of what IB is currently asking for CAS ? And also some suggestions of what I could do for each area. I do some dancing for action, but no more. I guess service is the heavy part of it. I'm interested in kids who have autism, I think I could learn a lot from them. But I don't know and time is running out.

Also, If I go on an exchange abroad, should I take my IB diary with me ? Or I should start it over ?

For you the CAS hours are in months, 18months have to be completed by 2013 people check it up with the user ChikkyD, she knows more about this than me, she'll point you in the right direction :)

Edited by KAPOWW!!
  • Like 1

For at least 2012 kids and later, CAS is now an 18month commitment in the span of the candidate years. My CAS coordinator tells me to do something 2-3 hours (I think) every week, and ideally, write a reflection if you have Managebac. So forget the 150 hour thing. Here are some suggestions:

Creativity: Learn something new, write a song, poem, story, movie, playing instruments make posters to promote a cause.

Action: Participate in a sports team, or even just going to the tryout will do.

Service: This is just regular volunteering, for anything acceptable.

Some activities will cover one or more CAS components. For example, "running for the cure" would be action and service. Make sure your CAS activities are not self-beneficial, for example, learning courses and getting a credit would not count towards creativity, and getting paid by helping out does not cont as service.

Keep in mind all of your activities need to have a supervisor, outside of your family.

In regards to autism, if you are interested in it, look up facilities that support the cause. I have an autistic brother, and he goes to a camp of people "of all abilities", where I volunteered over the summer. Yes, you could learn a lot there. But don't try too hard looking for it if you can't find it. You'd have to compromise in finding something easier if its not worth it.

• Like 1

Capt'n Marth has pretty much got it in one :)

2-3 hours a week is plenty for CAS.

Here's what I do for each area

Creativity: Mentoring and Senior Committee at my school.

Action: Gym and Zumba (it's like dancing and aerobics in one :P)

Service: Tutoring, tutoring and more tutoring!

Tutoring or doing some service to your school are both two easy ways to get some service outcomes. If you're interested in helping out autistic kids, find an agency or company that does so, and volunteer yourself. It's that easy :)

Agree! CAS now is QUALITATIVE instead of QUANTITATIVE!

There are lots of things to do for CAS. For me, I write for the school paper, have a varsity, work on various things such as the Red Cross, an Environmental Committee and the likes.

Just do what you like doing, and you won't have to think you're doing CAS! :D

It's actually more fun if you do something because you really like it, more than doing it just because you're required to, so go on, delve deep, and look for something you actually like!