Sign in to follow this  

Extended Essay Topic-Help?

Hey guys. I'v recently been wanting to switch from a history EE to an English one, but I can't seem to think of a topic. I want to do something with John Steinbeck's East of Eden, one of my favorite novels, but am a bit stumped on what to write on. I've heard that comparing two novels is easier than discussing one book alone, but due to schoolwork I haven't really had time to read leisurely lately...I don't know any novels that share similar themes. Any help guys?

Edit: Sorry about the generic title..I read the rules/guide to EE help topics after making the thread..whoops!

Edited by vpolineni

I did my EE in english as well, but i only did it on one novel. I found that if i compared two it would have made my essay too broad instead of covering all the asect of one area.

Sadly i havent read the book that you would like to for your EE but it you choose a topic that isnt too broad or too narrow on one book it will be fine and you'll be done in no time. I finished my essay in about 4 days.

I say, find yourself an EE supervisor for english (which im sure you have done) and talk to her/him about possible questions on the book you want to do, just a few in mind and they will help you modify it so it will be more suitable. Thats what they're for isn't it? They're meant to help us do well :)

Good Luck!

Most people do a comparison in their English EE, simply because it's much easier to refine your research question. I haven't read the book in question, however are there any 2 books you already know have similarities? Because that would make it easier.

Thanks Jaymi. I think I will actually do a single novel, might be easier at this point because i'm pretty familiar with it.

For anyone familiar with the novel, would doing an EE on how Steinbeck establishes a parallel to the Cain & Abel story through East of Eden be too broad?

ChikkyD, I probably know of a couple, but none that I would consider extensive/deep enough to do my EE on. Plus...I really loved East of Eden. I feel that I could write a superb paper on it.

Edited by vpolineni