Sign in to follow this  

Wolframalpha

For part of my portfolio I worked out some of the possible values using wolframalpha (http://www.wolframalpha.com). Regarding software like this which literally does all of the calculation for you, does anybody know whether it would be against the rules in any way if I use it for my SL maths portfolio, and would marks be docked of for using it rather than doing the calculations manually - providing that I say I use it of course...??

With WolframAlpha, you can usually click "show steps" in the upper right corner to see what steps can be taken to perform a calculation. This might be helpful for what you're asking for :)

wait, what did you input and what did it give you? if you're just solving quadratic equations or something like that it's not a problem as long as you show a screenshot of the software.

What you could do is do one example manually, to show you understand the mathematical process, then you the rest using the software. That way you wont risk losing marks but still using technology to advance your IA which is critical for the technology criteria.

• Like 1

You know I DID do the same thing but apparently using a computational engine like Wolfram isn't exactly encouraged by IBO. By 'technology' they usually refer to GDC's or Graphic softwares etc.

But you CAN look at the wolfram alpha steps and use that. THOSE steps can be quoted in 'SOURCES' section bibliography, As in "XYZ Method learnt from http://wolframaplha.com"

I remember I used WolframAlpha for the technology part of one of my portfolios and got full technology marks for it, so I don't see a problem.