Mandarin B SL Requirements?

Karis

I'm pretty fluent in Chinese, I can hold daily conversations with my parents and Chinese teacher, but my writing and reading skills are like a third grader's. This is the first year IB Mandarin B SL is offered at my school, and my Chinese teacher doesn't know what's going on. <_< What am I supposed to do?

Please explain the internal assessment, the exam, and any other requirements! :help:

Mandarin B SL is probably the easiest course offered in IB if you're chinese. I can pretty much bet you're going to get a 7.

IA - Two orals (you're fluent so this doesnt matter) - 30%

p1- ridicuously easy chinese reading comprehension - 40%

p2 - ridicuously easy 'essay' - 30%

BTW, a third grade writing/reading should suffice for a 7, assuming you are actually learning a bit more words and getting used to the exam.

• Like 2

Mandarin B SL is probably the easiest course offered in IB if you're chinese. I can pretty much bet you're going to get a 7.

IA - Two orals (you're fluent so this doesnt matter) - 30%

p1- ridicuously easy chinese reading comprehension - 40%

p2 - ridicuously easy 'essay' - 30%

BTW, a third grade writing/reading should suffice for a 7, assuming you are actually learning a bit more words and getting used to the exam.

Can you tell me what the two orals are on? I only thought there was one! o.o

And what the papers are on as well?

oral 1 - individual. usually taped and sent off to IB for moderation (they pick lowest, highest, and some random scores depending on the number of candidates).

oral 2 - usually group oral, though i think it may up to the school's choice. Im not sure if this is taped and sent off.

p1 - 3 (maybe 4 i dont remember) passages, 1 written promt

p2 - choose 1 promnt and write an essay.

• 5 months later...

How harsh do you think the moderators are for the individual oral presentation? I just did mine and I think I messed up on the interview portion. I mean, the teacher said I spoke with fluency but in terms of gathering ideas and trying to express them I had some troubles with. Haha it was funny actually-- one of the questions she asked was "compare the differences between Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine" and I basically said that Chinese cuisine was more oily and told her a story about how my mum told me once that people without much money use a lot of oil so they can become full much faster (basically implying that Chinese people are poor). Uh oh! Do you think the moderators will mark me down for making such a comment?