Making sense of the physics syllabus

scarlettjazz

Hi,

I'm in my second year of IB (just started) and I'm worried that my class isn't on track for physics. I'm an HL student, and we've done 6/8 of the core topics but no AHL and no options yet. So I have some questions:

1) What does AHL mean? Is this just for HL students? Do we have to do all of those topics, and why are they not in my Pearson Bacc. textbook?

2)If both HL and SL students do the same core topics, does that mean that core questions that we get in the exams will be exactly the same? aka can I revise by doing SL papers instead of HL papers (I can't get my hands on HL papers)?

3) Paper 1 is multiple choice, what are papers 2 and 3? Where does AHL come up?

Thanks!

Edited by scarlettjazz

1. AHL is HL material only. SL students don't do this, HL students MUST do this.

2. not really. in one whole set of paper, there are some SL questions that are repeated in the HL paper but not many.

3. Paper 1 HL is multiple choice questions on both core and AHL topics. Paper 2 HL is the short answer and extended response paper on both core and AHL topics. Paper 3 HL is the short answer paper on two chosen option topics (these include core option and AHL option).

• Like 1

1. AHL is Additional Higher Level material. Do you have the HL book? If so, the material should be there somewhere. It has probably just not been labelled AHL.

2. Not really, they share some of the questions, but the HL papers are longer and harder. You should really not revise using SL papers as they are a lot easier and do not cover the AHL topics. Send me an email ([email protected]) and I can get you some HL papers :)

3. As mentioned earlier, the HL papers are longer than the SL papers and cover the AHL material as well as the SL stuff.

EDIT: Desy was quicker.

Edited by Sammie Backman
  • Like 2