I need ideas for my TOK presentation

~~ Sammar ~~

Hi guys,

I have my TOK pesentation next week!!!!

and my knowledge issue is the following:

Is it ethically acceptable to use tricks of language and peception to influence readers and viewers in media ???

I had many ideas at the beginning but now I'm stuck in finding arguments !!! I saw how words are used in news to decrease panic and how pics are used for donation

but I still need more arguments !!!!

so, any ideas ?? ;p

So in essence what you're talking about seems to be propaganda, correct?

You could talk about the ethics of manipulation in various communist countries, and how it compared to various capitalist countries.

You could talk about the specific wording of articles about the same subject, like compare BBC or CNN to RT for example.

You could talk about how it helps in war efforts, and doesn't help sometimes (Ex. US in Vietnam).

You could talk about advertising.

Edited by Hexa

You also have to remember that there are two sides of the coin and that you could go either way with your argument, and most of the time each one will be equally right or wrong which is why TOK is such a pain in the butt! Find real life examples (subliminal advertising/propaganda/television advertising), research them and figure out whether YOU feel if it is truly ethically right or wrong and explain why (does it harm people, does it make them do things they dont want to and/or does mess with the human brain in order for people to want to do something (like subliminal messaging) ).

Hope that helped a bit.

So in essence what you're talking about seems to be propaganda, correct?

You could talk about the ethics of manipulation in various communist countries, and how it compared to various capitalist countries.

You could talk about the specific wording of articles about the same subject, like compare BBC or CNN to RT for example.

You could talk about how it helps in war efforts, and doesn't help sometimes (Ex. US in Vietnam).

You could talk about advertising.

naa, it's not propaganda :)

yea I talked about wording and how ethical can that be.

but thank you

You also have to remember that there are two sides of the coin and that you could go either way with your argument, and most of the time each one will be equally right or wrong which is why TOK is such a pain in the butt! Find real life examples (subliminal advertising/propaganda/television advertising), research them and figure out whether YOU feel if it is truly ethically right or wrong and explain why (does it harm people, does it make them do things they dont want to and/or does mess with the human brain in order for people to want to do something (like subliminal messaging) ).

Hope that helped a bit.

yea I talked about subliminal messaging

that was helpful

thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Oh! I did something like that for my TOK presentation. We focused on advertising tricks and whether they were ethical or not. We specifically talked about children though and how companies use tricks such as colours, happy music, cartoons, etc to persuade children to buy their products. We also talked about how there was a lot of commercials that showed active kids for a food/drink product that is not healthy whatsoever, but because there's a huge health movement, a lot of commercials show the "healthier" side, even if they're product is not healthy. Colours was one of our main arguments. For infomercials, they go from black/white to colour (showing sadness/frustration to happiness), for toys/kid products they use a lot of neon/rainbow colours.

There's so much you can do with this topic.