Tenses Used in EEs

Turkalurky

I'm not really amazing with grammar, but I have been instructed to use the past tense for everything in the EE. Beyond it being in the past tense I don't know. Your sentence seems fine to me. You should say what subject your extended essay is in as I think the tense used changes for each subject, it might help someone help you.

It concerns with the financial recession of 2008 so I would agree that the past tense is most suitable. Thank you very much!!!!! Anyone else doing econ for their EE?

Follow the basic rules of English - such as grammar, tenses, and such - for the EE. If referring to the past use the past tense and likewise for the present and future as there technically no restrictions to tenses.

The EE is a formal research paper, as such it is generally written in past tense due to its dry and analytical nature. In fact, you are expected to maintain that continuity in your essay no matter what: when you have a quote from a novel or book or source that is in present tense, you are expected to use broad brackets ([]) and correct the tenses within the quote to fit the past tense of your essay and keep the flow.