Refining History Topic for EE

josper

I really need help in refining my History Extended Essay.

I decided to do several things because my topics keep getting shot down by my History Teacher.

So far I feel really interested in the secret trinity test by the US during the cold war and how it started the atomic age.

I have no idea how to make this into a question plz help thanks.

If your topic is the US's trinity test during the cold war and how it started the atomic age, you could focus on a particular aspect of it. To write about the entire topic is too much for an EE. You could write about a certain aspect of the trinity test, such as what caused it to happen. Or you could write about a particular effect of it. I like to phrase my questions as a "to what extent" question, but for an EE you could also phrase it as a "how" or "why" question. I came up with a few starting points off the top of my head, since I don't know anything about your topic to be honest, so you'll have to fill in the blanks and decide which you like.

To what extent did _______ lead to the secret trinity test by the US during the Cold War?

To what extent was ____________ affected as the result of the trinity test by the US during the Cold War?

How did the trinity test affect __________________ during the Cold War?

What was the most important reason for causing the US's secret trinity test?

Obviously you'll have to fill in the blanks, but these can be good starting points, coming from someone who also did a history EE. Good luck :D

If your topic is the US's trinity test during the cold war and how it started the atomic age, you could focus on a particular aspect of it. To write about the entire topic is too much for an EE. You could write about a certain aspect of the trinity test, such as what caused it to happen. Or you could write about a particular effect of it. I like to phrase my questions as a "to what extent" question, but for an EE you could also phrase it as a "how" or "why" question. I came up with a few starting points off the top of my head, since I don't know anything about your topic to be honest, so you'll have to fill in the blanks and decide which you like.

To what extent did _______ lead to the secret trinity test by the US during the Cold War?

To what extent was ____________ affected as the result of the trinity test by the US during the Cold War?

How did the trinity test affect __________________ during the Cold War?

What was the most important reason for causing the US's secret trinity test?

Obviously you'll have to fill in the blanks, but these can be good starting points, coming from someone who also did a history EE. Good luck :D

thanks hopefully i dont get shut down by my history teacher once again.

I'm going to give you the advice I give everybody regarding EEs. Worrying about the exact wording of your RQ will get you nowhere. There's no such thing as the perfect RQ until you've actually written your EE. My RQ changed three times on the morning that my EE was due to the IB. Read about the Trinity test, pick up the books, find the scholarly articles on the web and otherwise and read all around your topic, know it inside and out. Once you know enough, then sit down and try to form a rough RQ.

At this point, it seems like you've hardly done any real skulduggery into the nitty gritty of your topic. When you've done enough of that, you will automatically know which aspects of this vast topic area truly fascinate you enough to further research and write 4,000 words on.

Arrowhead.

To what extent was nuclear technology rather then ideological economic differences responsible for the cold war?

Like/Dislike?

what do you mean by ideological economic differences? I like what u said but still unsure what you mean by ideological economic differences.

• 2 weeks later...

I really need help in refining my History Extended Essay.

I decided to do several things because my topics keep getting shot down by my History Teacher.

So far I feel really interested in the secret trinity test by the US during the cold war and how it started the atomic age.

I have no idea how to make this into a question plz help thanks.

First of all the Trinity test occurred during World War II not the Cold War. That is one potential reason it is being "shot down" by your history teacher.

Though not the best, an example would be like "To what extent did the treaty of Versailles cripple the German economy, leading to the Second World War?"

The idea is to be as specific as possible without narrowing the question so much as to choking multiple aspects that could be explored.

As Arrowhead said,

Worrying about the exact wording of your RQ will get you nowhere.
Read about the Trinity test, pick up the books, find the scholarly articles on the web and otherwise and read all around your topic, know it inside and out. Once you know enough, then sit down and try to form a rough RQ.