Mathematics Extended Essay-Number Theory

gk2537

Hey guys,

I've just decided to do a math EE after being advice by the head of Physics at my school not to do an EE on physics. So then I searched around for an area which I am interested in which happened to be Number Theory and in particular the root function. Does anyone have any good ideas in this area for a topic?

Thanks!

then I'd advise you not to do your EE in Maths either. Chemistry would be easier IMO.

the thing is, in Maths, it's very difficult to get a good topic. just being good at it doesn't guarantee you an A because it's difficult to find a suitable topic. last year my senior advised me not to do my EE in Maths, but I still insisted on doing so. now as a result I regret it after realising how difficult it is to find just a good, interesting and suitable topic.

but if you still aren't convinced enough... well then it's up to you.

sorry though I couldn't help with ideas since I lack of them myself. but try to think about its application in real life, that usually makes a good EE topic.

• Like 1

Yep! Think about real-life applications. I suggest you the book "Mathematics and Technology" for really cool topics like JPEG compression, GPS and such. My supervisor told me that it is a real treasure for Math EE. I found out about this book by looking for GPS and mathematics, but ended up doing my EE on RSA cryptography.

Springer editions always make good, complete books. I guess you'll be able to find something that suit you :) . I have the book in PDF, but also in paper copy (my supervisor bought it for him, and me). If you want the PDF, just send me a message and I'll give you the download link.

• 4 months later...

I guess this isn't going to help much now, but I found my topic using this book.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25259960/100-Great-Problems-of-Elementary-Mathematics-Dover-Tqw-darksiderg

I did my Extended essay on Menage Problem

oh isn't that the problem about ways of sitting around a table? lol I swear to God I looked into this too. I wanted to do my EE on this. not the original problem though, I changed it a bit. but in the end I decided not to do it. I forgot why though :S maybe because it's either too difficult or too easy. or overdone. forgot.

You know, my EE teacher told us about an excellent EE realized some years ago by student, it was something like a study to determine if maths are involved in classical songs. I know it sounds crazy, and I have no idea of how I would start on such a trip, but he actually did it, and he got an A! Teacher says it must have been because it was not only well-done and mathematically correct, but due to the fact that he stumbled upon a real inovation few people had ever figured out! or hadn't figured at all! Another one found a mathematical pattern on cubist paintings, and got an A too! So look around yourself, there are maths all around you, you just gotta pay them enough attention and start formulating out weird stuff as those crazy guys did.

Also, think about the career you're planning to take at university because it would be very helpful to research more about a topic that will help you in your future. For example, you could go and research something in the business fields, finance, a certain problem, ect. Also, if you have an IB Math SL/ IB Math HL textbook, they have careers related to the chapter in some parts of the book. Our math teacher pointed out a page in the IB Math SL textbook how there are many careers in which matrices are used.

Yep! Think about real-life applications. I suggest you the book "Mathematics and Technology" for really cool topics like JPEG compression, GPS and such. My supervisor told me that it is a real treasure for Math EE. I found out about this book by looking for GPS and mathematics, but ended up doing my EE on RSA cryptography.

Springer editions always make good, complete books. I guess you'll be able to find something that suit you smile.gif . I have the book in PDF, but also in paper copy (my supervisor bought it for him, and me). If you want the PDF, just send me a message and I'll give you the download link.

Hey,

My Math teacher recommended I do my EE in math. Could you send me a download link for the book?