new language - creativity?

Rainbow Dash

Hi guys.

I'm quite new in IB (I've started this September) and few days ago I had an introduction to CAS. I tought, that learning new language (in my case - French) would count as creativity and, except new abilities, i'd gain some more CAS hours through it. My CAS coordinator told me that, if I want to link language with CAS, it has to be (directly quoting her words) "oriental one, or a language from different culture". Poland and France are from different cultural regions (FR is Roman and PL is Slavic), FR is definetly not 'oriental'. What do you think, should I fight for this case, or just let go and pick up Japaneese or sth?

xx, Olga

Edited by Rainbow Dash

Hm... In my school we can't even learn oriental language for CAS ;p

so... I advise you to drop it and find something else... I know it can be hard for some people, like finding creativity for me (I'm totally bio-chem mind! -,-) but last year in preIB I attended a movie club and this year... Well a school organised for us an hour of dance every Wednesday do it'll be my creativity ;p

Our CAS coordinator told us that we can learn language as Creativity as long as it's not a language we're taking in IB, e.g. you wouldn't be able to count extra English lessons as CAS cause you're taking Eng in IB. Other than that, it's fine. At least in my school. I'm actually going to do French as my Creativity and the school's fine with that. :)

At my old school, learning a language you were pursuing in the IB didn't count as CAS. However, when I started learning Romansh (not in the IB) outside of the class from the locals, it was disregarded (but I think that had more to do with the fact that my IB Coordinator hated me). But yeah, try finding something else. Creativity hours can be raked in pretty easily if you put your mind to it. It doesn't have to be music, theatre, nor languages necessarily; something as simple as organising a sports rally or car wash or getting together a bunch of friends to clean up your school campus can contribute towards Creativity. hell, if you brought 5-6 friends together and all of you told a teacher that you would be having a "dance" club for an hour after school even that could count as Creativity (and arguably Action).

My school also counts learning a language "not related to IB coursework" as creativity, but I have no idea if they will accept my 3-week intensive summer course in learning German, as I knew some German even before that. It's not considered an 'oriental' language either, but I don't believe there is such a requirement. What do you think, will they only accept a language that was totally new to you? I should probably ask my CAS coordinator, but I'm afraid that if we discuss it too much, she's just gonna say it's not CAS. If i just place it with confidence in the CAS folder, I think I stand more chance :D