A few questions

Award Winning Boss

Hello,

I'm new to this site and new to IB so please forgive me if this has been repeated a million times.

So i've heard about time management is the best thing to ensure good grades etc

I'm wondering, how do you do all this work while keeping the standard of your work high? You could manage your time perfectly and still do poorly so is there anything i should know to improve organisation while keeping the standard of work high?

Do you have separte folders/binders for each subject or is it all in one?

Can someone please tell me how to make good notes while in class and in T.o.K lectures? I don't want to have notes that aren't detailed enough towards the exam period and start crying, retire the IB early and start training my unicorns for a revolution. That'd be a last resort.

Ps if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it

I have different folders for all my subjects. But keeping e-organized is also important so make sure you do that as well.

Also does ToK even have exams? Our class doesn't. We have essays and presentations but that's it. The best way to do well in that class is to pay attention, and THINK as much and as deeply as possible about it.

I keep them separate but honestly it does not matter. Do what is most comfortable for you and do what you feel you might be working at max efficiency. I have TOK right now, and we do not even make notes; we just talk. The best thing to do in TOK is be a good listener and keep and open mind, and also, having good writing/presenting skills will help with the assessments.

Actually, if you manage you time well, you are likely to do well. Why wouldn't you? Study skills are important, but managing your procrastination is the golden rule of IB.

one folder for each subject (though I have 2 folders for each of my sciences) plus one CAS folder, one TOK folder and an additional folder to bring some papers home.

for note taking, there are several methods. if you're comfortable with bringing your laptop to school everyday and you're okay with staring at the computer for quite a long time, I suggest typing your notes. otherwise write them. one book for one subject (or if possible try to get another book for exercises). I guess I'm lucky though because most of my teachers make the notes and give us handouts, so it's already there. and if there's anything I'd like to add in the notes I can just write on the handout (use sticky notes or simply write on the sides).

work ethic, it's very difficult to teach but it starts from YOU. if i tell you every second to study but your mind isn't there, it won't change anything. you need to be self-motivated and aim high. set goals for yourself and keep them in mind to motivate you to study and do homework.

time management, I think there are three alternatives that I like:

1. once you get home, do all your homework till you finish, then sleep till the next day. if you can finish early, do your other homework or enjoy yourself.

2. once you get home, sleep for ~2 hours. once you wake up, finish all your homework and after that sleep again till you have to wake up for school.

3. once you get home, try to do some HW. then sleep at like 10 PM or so, and wake up at 3 AM. finish the rest of your HW and prepare for school.

those are just my preferences though.

lastly, you need to just work hard. don't think of partying, hanging out, or whatever. well you can do it on weekends if you feel that you have some spare time, but I personally don't recommend doing those during schooldays.