Is this a CAS project?

Guest Humaira

would taking swimming lessons be a CAS project for the Action portion?

i have already gotten a CAS project for creativity and service, a childrens arts and crafts program i created at the hospital i volunteer at.

would these two be enough for CAS?

The swimming will most certainly count for action.

But you need to get a wider and more diverse range of activities. The maximum hours I believe you can use for an activity is 30, but you need 50 in each aspect of CAS. So if those are big projects you then you don't need anymore long term or major projects, but you should get a couple lighter ones, even if they're for just a day. I believe that this is somewhat dependent on the school though.

Edited by Hexa

One project is sufficient per year.

Ignore what Hexa said about the 50 hours. CAS is now an 18 month commitment for 2012 students and on. Consult with your CAS coordinator as to what she expects for a project. There is some gray area among our community, but it does have to involve 2 or 3 of the CAS components.

Yup, after IB students got smart with their CAS and tried to get their 150 hours for CAS over with ASAP so that they could focus on the rest of their studies and EE.... IBO changed their CAS requirements a bit :) So you know the IB is a 18-month program, right? So now, as IB students, we're asked to complete +150 hours of CAS throughout the whole of the program (18 months!). Because the essence of CAS is supposed to help keep their IB students balanced :)

But honestly (depending on your CAS coordinator), you can complete your +150 hours before the 18 months, there's nothing wrong with that! You just need to make sure that you don't forget about CAS all together and keep on working at it :) 150 hours is the MINIMUM :P And once you're ahead of the game with the hours, that's just one less thing to worry about!! Instead, you just put stuff down for CAS when it comes to you :) (or at least it's worked out for me! I've been getting CAS opportunities at the right moments for me :))

Okay, now regarding your CAS project. As TurtleR said above, your CAS project must be collaborative and include at least two of C-A-S. And I believe that you should include some significant hours for your project. It shouldn't only be like, 4 hours long :P

And don't worry.... it took me a while to figure out what a CAS project is :)

If you are really wanting to include swimming into your CAS project, you could take your lessons (action) and then get a mini-tournament of some sort worked out (creativity). You can also make it into a fundraiser and the money that you will raise can be donated to another organization (and you can tick off the "ethical implications if you get a good organization). Or, if you like, you could use that money towards another CAS project or activity all together :)

Hope this helps!! And good luck!! :)

ignore what the stupid ManageBac said. your CAS activities can involve only one of the aspects, two aspects or all aspects. not sure why they say it must involve more than one aspects, but afaik and many people say it can solely be based on one aspect. try to ask your school? I'm pretty sure it's a CAS activity and if possible try to join swimming competitions afterwards.

as you've just started the IB, this is enough. but after a few months try starting other projects, perhaps smaller projects that can be finished in a few days but get you a lot of hours.

is there any hour limit in the new CAS system? if not, just take up one activity per month or one per 3 months.

ignore what the stupid ManageBac said. your CAS activities can involve only one of the aspects, two aspects or all aspects. not sure why they say it must involve more than one aspects, but afaik and many people say it can solely be based on one aspect. try to ask your school? I'm pretty sure it's a CAS activity and if possible try to join swimming competitions afterwards.

as you've just started the IB, this is enough. but after a few months try starting other projects, perhaps smaller projects that can be finished in a few days but get you a lot of hours.

is there any hour limit in the new CAS system? if not, just take up one activity per month or one per 3 months.

Desy, were you allowed to count an activity concerning only one of C-A-S as your CAS project? I know I'm not (except in the beginning of IB1, I didn't know what a CAS project was, so I marked 3-4 of my activities as my project) and I've got to resolve it soon.

But anyway, I remember being told clearly that I needed to complete a CAS project, and that it had to be in collaboration with another individual(s) and that it must include at least two of C-A-S.