Biology EE?

morganwhatever

So, for my EE i'm planning to have Biology as my area, I have a few things in mind for the actual question, its along the lines of

- developing a cure for autism by using gene therapy.

- The stimulation of fetal hemoglobin as a cure for sickle cell anemia.

- Assessing behavior to a biological diagnosis and treatment for ADHD.

or

- How methamphetamine abuse relates to dopamine levels found in the brain of a living organism and how the level of dopamine in a methamphetamine addict could correlate to the abuser developing Parkinsons disease.

Which one would get a higher score? And be somewhat easier to write about? And also, how would I write about it?

Thanks! :D

Those sound really complicated...

I personally am used to dealing with biology essays that involved performing an experiment by yourself and then writing about it. Those usually score the highest, and the experiments are usually best if not extremely complicated.

This is taken from the 2009 EE Guide:

Essays in biology may be based on data collected by the student through experimentation, survey,

microscopic observations, biological drawing, fieldwork or some other appropriate biological approach.

Alternatively, essays may be based on data or information obtained from literature, ideally from primary

sources, and manipulated or analysed in an original way by the student. Essays that simply restate facts

or data taken directly from the sources are of little value. Whichever approach is chosen, the student

must ensure that sufficient resources, in the form of data and information, can be obtained in order to

allow the topic to be effectively researched.

I'm not sure how you would go about presenting those topics in an original way without simply restating facts or data taken directly from the sources, UNLESS you're extremely confident that you could analyse the data and present it originally.

• Like 1

I agree. In order to do well on a biology EE you basically HAVE to have an experiment, and I'm not sure what kind of experiment you could perform with any of those topics at the high school level. They are all interesting, but not suitable for an EE. Do you have any other ideas, something simpler that could be tested through an experiment?

I would stay away from those kinds of topics, as this involves carrying out an experiment and collecting data for a biology EE. I would suggest picking a topic that has a big application/ real relevance e.g. to an environment. However you have to be aware that this is an extended essay, so the investigation you're carrying out shouldn't be as simple as the standard IA's you do, like testing the effects of sunlight on a certain plant. On the other hand, the method should not be overly complicated either :)

I'd suggest thinking of an area that you're interested in investigating such as microbiology, ecology etc. Then pick a main focus in this area, possibly something that hasn't been overly researched. Biology EEs can be quite tedious, especially during the time that you're carrying out the experiment, because for this kind of essay, you will have many trials and it is quite time consuming. However, once you have your data and you can properly analyse the data and evaluate it, then writing it up is ok.

What i found hardest in doing my EE was finding a decent topic and doing the initial research. After all the planning, everything seemed to fit in place.

Good Luck! :)

Well that's not really a question that you can do for a biology EE; it's not biology! The people that have told you that it's a long lab report are kind of telling the truth. Your EE will basically be a really long, very detailed lab report. You'll have your question or topic that you're researching, and then have your experiment to test it. Try looking at sample biology EEs for a guide as to what you should be aiming for. These are from the IB's 50 Excellent Extended Essays, so obviously they are what IB considers to be high quality.

Bio EE 1: http://extended-essay.gar.groupfusion.net/modules/locker/files/get_group_file.phtml?gid=127956&fid=1691462&sessionid=6319409e7e145a203c5b4bc20a219e8b

Bio EE 2: http://extended-essay.gar.groupfusion.net/modules/locker/files/get_group_file.phtml?gid=127956&fid=1691554&sessionid=c492d8be839dc6ae532d96d09db45362

Bio EE 3: http://extended-essay.gar.groupfusion.net/modules/locker/files/get_group_file.phtml?gid=127956&fid=1691529&sessionid=96065eaebe82089eb476347df6e220c7

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, kulalian said:

hello guys, i'm doing my EE biology, and as we all now we're in quarantine, therefore, i'm trying to find a research question and topic through DATABASE or SIMULATION, please dose any on know any resource for this type of ee.

Hi, I’m in the same situation, I’m guessing you figured something out? Please could you give me some ideas ☺️