Are my subjects respectable enough?

Nick R

Hello all, I would like to consider myself as a reasonably intelligent person. In the future I hope to become an engineer and is there any point in applying to Oxford or Cambridge with these slightly uncouth choices,

Maths HL

Physics HL

Economics HL

Language and Literature SL

French Ab Initio SL

Design Technology SL

Thanks guys :)

Hello all, I would like to consider myself as a reasonably intelligent person. In the future I hope to become an engineer and is there any point in applying to Oxford or Cambridge with these slightly uncouth choices,

Maths HL

Physics HL

Economics HL

French Ab Initio SL

Design Technology SL

They're perfectly fine. It's not the smartest people who do well, it's those who work hard (from my knowledge i'm only in the 3rd week :P). A couple of my friends take those higher subjects. I'd recommend just keeping on top of things.

I'm going for Oxbridge even though my GCSE grades are meh.

Best of luck and remember asking questions doesn't make you stupid, you'll benefit from clearing up and problems :)

Maths HL

Physics HL

Economics HL

French Ab Initio SL

Design Technology SL

HL Maths and Physics look fantastic on your diploma, especially if you're considering engineering. & based on the fact that you're taking design technology as well, your determination is quite clear, in my opinion. With the appropriate grades, there is no reason for you not to apply to Oxford and Cambridge.

hmmm.

French Ab Initio SL

Design Technology SL

you must have heard that those two subjects are considered as 'mickey mouse subjects' that's why you're asking this question. :P I'm not sure on how Oxbridge see students with those subjects but I guess as long as you get your 40+ and 776 or 777 at HL you're a quite good candidate.

though I personally think Chemistry would be seen as a better subject than Design Tech. also it might be more useful. it's your choice though. and are you new to French? if not might want to consider French B SL.

hmmm.

French Ab Initio SL

Design Technology SL

you must have heard that those two subjects are considered as 'mickey mouse subjects' that's why you're asking this question. :P I'm not sure on how Oxbridge see students with those subjects but I guess as long as you get your 40+ and 776 or 777 at HL you're a quite good candidate.

though I personally think Chemistry would be seen as a better subject than Design Tech. also it might be more useful. it's your choice though. and are you new to French? if not might want to consider French B SL.

The Design Technology was really my fun subject to let of steam and enjoy a bit of creativity. Unfortunately I have a bit of experience in French but I would be struggling to get a 5 in Standard as I am not a language person, so I decided to get a higher score by taking French Ab Initio, I realise that it is somewhat of a joke subject but my teacher said taking French at standard was similar to taking it to the first year of university and Ab Initio was similar to AS level

Guest Soiboist

If you are enjoying your subjects, you should definitely not change your subjects on the basis of becoming a more successful Oxbridge applicant. Frankly, British universities do not really mind SL subjects unless related to your degree, and since you are going into engineering and have Maths and Physics to HL you should already have covered the part of relevance. However, it is "highly desirable" according to Cambridge that people who apply for their engineering degree have taken a third mathematics/science/technology course to A-level. Now, they do not mention any IB equivalent so it is not certain if they would prefer applicants with a third mathematics/science/technology to HL or SL. If I were you I would send an e-mail to the admission center about whether your subject combination will do, it is essentially better than mere speculation.

I have never understood the assertion that universities think of ab initio subjects as "soft". If you are a beginner, you take a beginner's course. Naturally, you do not take French B if you have never studied it, and specially not since some people in B languages seem to be fluent slackers.

I'd just like to reiterate the importance of Soiboist's point. Universities in the UK (Oxbridge included) do not care about SL subject choices at all. What matters most are your HL choices. Having Maths and Physics HL will benefit you in this regard so you have nothing to worry about.

I applied to Oxford with French Ab Initio and Environmental Systems SL, I still got an interview from them (not getting through the interview was on me though, not on my subject choices). A friend of mine is starting at Oxford (for History) this Fall...well now I guess...she too had French Ab Initio and ESS SL, she got in! (Granted, she also got a perfect 45 in the IB)...

Your SLs exist to boost your overall score and nothing more. It's always your HL subject choices that made a difference. (Unless you take Maths Studies and apply for Engineering or something equally absurd).

Just aim for a high score and you will be on the right track.

Best of luck!

Arrowhead.

• Like 1

It sounds fine. I kind of agree with the Chemistry SL point, but showing that you can plan and carry something out seems invaluable. Ab Initio seems wisest. I was told I would be able to do SL Mathematics if I tried, but I chose Maths Studies because of the ease of points. Also, I am in exactly the same position as you for French. I chose AI because in my household, my mother is fluent, and my little brother is almost fluent, so I can get a good amount of practice.

Hope I'm of help,

xxx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hmmm.

French Ab Initio SL

Design Technology SL

you must have heard that those two subjects are considered as 'mickey mouse subjects' that's why you're asking this question. tongue.gif I'm not sure on how Oxbridge see students with those subjects but I guess as long as you get your 40+ and 776 or 777 at HL you're a quite good candidate.

The Design Technology was really my fun subject to let of steam and enjoy a bit of creativity. Unfortunately I have a bit of experience in French but I would be struggling to get a 5 in Standard as I am not a language person, so I decided to get a higher score by taking French Ab Initio, I realise that it is somewhat of a joke subject but my teacher said taking French at standard was similar to taking it to the first year of university and Ab Initio was similar to AS level

I have received an offer from Oxford for engineering (require 42/45 with 7 in Physics HL and Math HL)

I have exactly the same HL as you, but I got English B as HL as well (so 4 HLs)

and my SL are Chemsitry and Chinese

By the way I met my offer and end up with 43.....

Good luck!