Help on history EE question

monkbear

Currently, my research question is "Was Lenin and Trotsky justified in suppressing the Kronstadt rebellion?" but I'm starting to have doubts about this now. I can't seem to limit my context for the essay and the question doesn't seem focused enough. I was thinking about changing it to "What role did the Kronstadt rebellion play in the creation of the New Economic Policy (NEP)?" but I really don't want to start researching again since my first draft is suppose to be due soon. Any thoughts?

Your first question doesn't seem that broad actually. Perhaps provide an area of justification or a law they used to justify it to narrow it down? Also, have you tried cutting down on words or removing the "fluff" from your essay? If not, try it. Use footnotes too; that can cut down on some words. But if you feel that you just can't keep it under 4,000 words, I like your second question too. It's seems like a doable topic that you can write 4,000 words on. When is your first draft due by?

Due on October 11, I've almost finished adding the context part of the event, the strikes, rebellion, suppression etc... but it took up quite a bit of words (1415 to be exact). I like your idea about including the law in my question though, although I can't think of any at the moment. Also another reason why I'm hesitant to use the second question is because I'd have to research a lot more into the NEP, which I don't have time for. :sadnod:

How about this instead? "Were Lenin and Trotsky justified in repressing the Kronstadt rebellion in order to eliminate the threat of counter-revolutionaries?" It sounds a little wordy to me though.

Edited by monkbear

Due on October 11, I've almost finished adding the context part of the event, the strikes, rebellion, suppression etc... but it took up quite a bit of words (1415 to be exact). I like your idea about including the law in my question though, although I can't think of any at the moment. Also another reason why I'm hesitant to use the second question is because I'd have to research a lot more into the NEP, which I don't have time for. :sadnod:

How about this instead? "Were Lenin and Trotsky justified in repressing the Kronstadt rebellion in order to eliminate the threat of counter-revolutionaries?" It sounds a little wordy to me though.

Changing it to that will limit it to a yes or no question.

So, personally, you might wanna think of another way of phrasing it?

How are the actions of ...?

To what extent, ...?

What factors...?

Hope this helps! :D

I like this question. :) It limits it to a certain extent (counter-revolutionaries) when before it could have referred to justifying several things. Don't worry about it being wordy, as you'll probably edit it a bit as you write your EE.