General math learning, studying, and reviewing tips?

wombat123

Math is probably my worst subject. I vowed to improve this year, but I just had my first test today and I know I did horribly. It wasn't because I really didn't understand the concepts, but I made a stupid mistake on one question which was worth three marks, except a similar part of that question appeared in about 4-5 other questions also worth three marks each, so it messed up my calculations from the start and now I know I got a bajillion marks off. But in general, it takes me a lot longer to digest the material, and find solutions to problems than my other friends. A lot of my friends are math geniuses, so I feel especially stupid when it comes to math.

Are there any tips anyone can provide to learning math, thinking about the concepts and problems, and strategies to problem-solving in general? Is there a certain way to study it, digest the ideas, and review for tests that seem to help people?

I guess practice is essential.

A few months ago, I got 3, 4 and 5s in Math, but after spending a whole weekend studying Math, my grades became 5, 6 and 7.

A tip I find important is that you have to ask yourself if you understand what you're reading, and during a test, think of what you learned for the past few weeks/days. It always helps! Since your teacher will only test something taught to you, right?

Lots of paper will help, and websites like www.purplemath.com also helps a lot!

If you need any more help, just PM me! :D

I guess practice is essential.

A few months ago, I got 3, 4 and 5s in Math, but after spending a whole weekend studying Math, my grades became 5, 6 and 7.

A tip I find important is that you have to ask yourself if you understand what you're reading, and during a test, think of what you learned for the past few weeks/days. It always helps! Since your teacher will only test something taught to you, right?

Lots of paper will help, and websites like www.purplemath.com also helps a lot!

If you need any more help, just PM me! :D

• Like 1

Looks like you got it all. You said you understand the concepts right? The hardest part is already taken care of.

PRACTISE. Study often. Read the examples and take notes. That's all there is to it.

In general, I devise my own ways of solving problems, in IB1 I have even created my own notation for doing homework. But it is important to pay attention in class and learn the teacher's method. Some strategies you might want to consider are:

Looking at the question in another perspective

Working backwards

Draw a picture, make a chart, do what is comfortable for you to analyze the problem

Writing out all your knowns and unknowns (its easier to see)

Write out the equations you might be using

If it's algebra, you need to practise interpreting scenarios into corresponding expressions and equations

You haven't really given anything specific about what your doing, so that is just general advice. It all really depends what subject it is for me to study. I don't really have any fancy techniques, and I did fine in Math. Keep in mind though, you must understand and not memorize. One of my queer strategies however, involved remembering specific examples, which helps serve as a base to for me to carry out the concepts of problems that I'm not familiar with.

Edited by Capt'n Marth
  • Like 2

You just have to be organized...

1. Practice a lot!

2. when you finish a chapter:

a. print the syllabus for this chapter and see what you know and what you dont know

b. solve A LOT of exercises from your book

c. practice past papers for this chapter.. in www.ibmathlessons.com you can find all past papers sorted by subject with their solutions. for example if you study Sequences you will find notes and past papers for sequences...Check the free sample material and good luck :)

Math is probably my worst subject. I vowed to improve this year, but I just had my first test today and I know I did horribly. It wasn't because I really didn't understand the concepts, but I made a stupid mistake on one question which was worth three marks, except a similar part of that question appeared in about 4-5 other questions also worth three marks each, so it messed up my calculations from the start and now I know I got a bajillion marks off. But in general, it takes me a lot longer to digest the material, and find solutions to problems than my other friends. A lot of my friends are math geniuses, so I feel especially stupid when it comes to math.

Are there any tips anyone can provide to learning math, thinking about the concepts and problems, and strategies to problem-solving in general? Is there a certain way to study it, digest the ideas, and review for tests that seem to help people?