English B HL, will I get in?

rock_chris

So I am going to start IB next year and I've chosen english b hl. I am wondering if universities usually accept english B hl. I am looking forward to go to australia or canada, so can you please enlighten me on this?

If you're going to Canada, and you know French, that will save the day, but the problem with taking English as B is that it might be considered a foreign language, so the thing people will think is that you're proficiency isn't that high, that's why its a foreign language.

But here's something else: different universities take it different, what's more, YOU HAVE THE SATS! These place/score you to tell you where you are. So, even if you might be English B, but your SATs are okay, then your SATs might save the day.

So, just take it as well as you can, and pray you get good scores in the SAT!

But here's something else: different universities take it different, what's more, YOU HAVE THE SATS! These place/score you to tell you where you are. So, even if you might be English B, but your SATs are okay, then your SATs might save the day.

hmmm what is this SAT thing, does it apply to every university that i have to go?

hmmm what is this SAT thing, does it apply to every university that i have to go?

SAT stands for Standard Admissions Tests and are used in all US Unis (and as per the OP in Canadian Unis as well). I dunno about Australia, but as far as the UK is concerned, your SATs don't really mean anything.

Have you considered sitting for IELTS or TOEFL and just getting it over with. If your score on one of these tests is high enough, you don't have to prove anything anymore.

So I am going to start IB next year and I've chosen english b hl. I am wondering if universities usually accept english B hl. I am looking forward to go to australia or canada, so can you please enlighten me on this?

If you're going to Canada, and you know French, that will save the day

French only matters if you're applying to a French language university. It can also help you a lot if you go to an English unversity in an area where French is spoken (ex. McGill in Montreal). Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you speak French or Japanese or Finnish as well; you just have to be reasonably fluent in English.

You should search for English language requirements on the university websites. You may be able to get in with English B or if you take most of your IB subjects in English. If you did IGCSE English as a Second Language, that may also fulfill the English requirement if you got at least a certain grade. If you don't have any English qualification listed on the website, take TOEFL or IELTS.

You also don't need SATs to apply to Canadian unis. The only people who would need SAT/ACT for Canada are Americans. I'm not sure if it will help you in the admissions process but they aren't required.