European Youth Parliament (EYP)

Gaby

Are there any fellow EYPers on IBS? I've recently been to a National Selection Conference and though I wasn't chosen for the International Session, I totally loved it. Has any of you been to an EYP session too? :D What's your opinion on EYP? Do you love it or do you hate it? I'd love to know! :rolleyes:

Edited by Gaby

Sounds like a fun thing? Can somebody enlighten me about this? We don't have this in Asia? (Superficially because we don't have a lot of parliamentary governments), but what is this all about?

I'd like to know more about this? Do you work in the parliament? Be with a member of parliament?

Or is this like Model UN?

:D

Sounds like a fun thing? Can somebody enlighten me about this? We don't have this in Asia? (Superficially because we don't have a lot of parliamentary governments), but what is this all about?

I'd like to know more about this? Do you work in the parliament? Be with a member of parliament?

Or is this like Model UN?

:D

From what I've gathered, it's a little like MUN. You don't have it in Asia probably because it's EUROPEAN. :D You go for a session (mine was 4 days long), the whole first day you do teambuilding where you get to know other members of your committee so that the next day you can set to work immediately. Every delegate is in one committee and each committee has a different, say, topic. I was in LIBE I (Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs) and our topic was "In the light of recent phone hacking enquires in the UK: How can Member States balance freedom of the press with personal security concerns". We debated it for about 1,5 days and then we wrote a resolution. Each committee has a chairperson who coordinates all the work the committee does and this person also types the resolution. On the last day, when you come to the place where the conference is being held, you get a Resolution Booklet (at least we got them in the morning though we should have gotten them at, like, 2 am in the night), with all the resolutions of all the committees. Then, you have General Assembly, where there is a strict protocol. Each committee is called, one by one, in strict order, they read their operative clauses, then give a speech about why this is a good resolution, then someone from other committee attacks the resolution, the committee responds, then there is an open debate about the resolution, after 4 rounds of questions you have another speech and then the resolution is voted. My committee's resolution passed which made us extremely proud of ourselves. :D

Overall, it's amazing experience, I've never in my life worked so intensely (from 9 am to 7 pm with some short coffee breaks and lunch break that we used for even more discussion because we were running out of time, then a quick dinner, a party or a concert, and back to our hostel to do even more work on the resolution. We nearly didn't sleep this 4 days) but it was truly magnificent.

And I think EYP has an age limit, though I'm not sure, you have to be between 16 and 25 to be a delegate. :)

Edited by Gaby

• 4 weeks later...

But you also have to remember that sessions differ, during international sessions which last about 6 days teambuilding lasts 2 days etc.

Yeah, I know, I just described a session I've been to. But it seems there are no EYPers here, I wonder why. I actually can't wait to see an EYP Newsletter with an info that there is going to be a Regional session somewhere in Poland. I so miss this atmosphere!

I did EYP briefly (for one day) and we were the group for agriculture and fisheries or something. We had to propose that double hulled ships replace single hulled ships or something like that ...whilst the other people in the room discussed the situation of american missiles in European territories.

Needless to say I didn't enjoy it that much! The format of MUN and EYP and stuff isn't really that interesting to me. All the resolution drafting is very bureaucratic and if you're given a scenario like the double hulled ship thing, mega boring. MUN seems even more daft to me because you have to pretend to be a country for some reason. It's more like a debate of attrition than an intellectual debate.

The very best thing I ever did was when my school entered the Cambridge Debating Competition for schools. Now THAT was an awesome style of debating issues, really quick-fire. Kinda adrenaline-rush creating but I had the most awesome time. Unfortunately we only got through 2 rounds, but it was certainly my favourite thing along those lines. Anybody who can should enter because it was honestly one of the best things I did at school ^_^

I did EYP briefly (for one day) and we were the group for agriculture and fisheries or something. We had to propose that double hulled ships replace single hulled ships or something like that ...whilst the other people in the room discussed the situation of american missiles in European territories.

Needless to say I didn't enjoy it that much! The format of MUN and EYP and stuff isn't really that interesting to me. All the resolution drafting is very bureaucratic and if you're given a scenario like the double hulled ship thing, mega boring. MUN seems even more daft to me because you have to pretend to be a country for some reason. It's more like a debate of attrition than an intellectual debate.

The very best thing I ever did was when my school entered the Cambridge Debating Competition for schools. Now THAT was an awesome style of debating issues, really quick-fire. Kinda adrenaline-rush creating but I had the most awesome time. Unfortunately we only got through 2 rounds, but it was certainly my favourite thing along those lines. Anybody who can should enter because it was honestly one of the best things I did at school ^_^

We don't actually do debating in Poland (not that I know of, anyway), though I do some mooting and I love it but it's something totally different. My EYP session was 4 days long, with a lot of Committee Work, debating and an outstanding chairperson. Also, we had a great topic so it was fun, and the president of the session also helped us a lot because he was British and we had a really British subject. To be honest, I met some fantastic people there and, even with quite strict rules of resolution drafting, it was really creative.

Guest Frozen Camel

crapy thing is that my country isn't involved in EYP (even though it is European country -.- ) But nevertheless that would be great thing to do. Btw any of you still-surviving-IBers taking part in YiA projects? (Would love to know, to join our forces ^^ )

Edited by Frozen Camel

crapy thing is that my country isn't involved in EYP (even though it is European country -.- ) But nevertheless that would be great thing to do. Btw any of you still-surviving-IBers taking part in YiA projects? (Would love to know, to join our forces ^^ )

I don't know what YiA is, can you explain? And, even though your country does not have it's own EYP, can't you go to a Regional session to some neighbour country?

Guest Frozen Camel

I don't know what YiA is, can you explain? And, even though your country does not have it's own EYP, can't you go to a Regional session to some neighbour country?

Well ... after IB life is also kinda hard like IB life with only difference that you get used on it. Even if I could it is not that likely that I can go somewhere while I have lectures.

So, YiA is Youth in Action programme funded by EU. It funds projects like youth exchange,seminars,etc. So basically, you can either ,make your own project or apply for some other similar project. The tricky thing is when you're applying a project you have to apply by National agency and only EU countries have them ^^

Perfect for IB students (during holidays between DP year 1 and 2 ^_^ or after IB)

Edited by Frozen Camel

Well ... after IB life is also kinda hard like IB life with only difference that you get used on it. Even if I could it is not that likely that I can go somewhere while I have lectures.

So, YiA is Youth in Action programme funded by EU. It funds projects like youth exchange,seminars,etc. So basically, you can either ,make your own project or apply for some other similar project. The tricky thing is when you're applying a project you have to apply by National agency and only EU countries have them ^^

Perfect for IB students (during holidays between DP year 1 and 2 ^_^ or after IB)

That sounds iteresting as well. I'm now in my city's Youth City Council and some people who were in the Council last year wrote a project and got some money from YiA, I don't exactly know what they're gonna do, I think there are some teenagers from abroad visiting our city during winter holidays.

Also, I've seen somewhere on facebook a call for an EYP national committee in Bosnia and Herzegovina, so you might have your own EYP in no time. :)

• 2 years later...

I am doing IB and I am in EYP!!! I am so glad that you guys are also fellow EYPers. EYP is my life! I have been to an international session, and I am going to another one this summer (Barcelona).

EYP is so much more that just European Youth Parliament it's a way of life. Trust me if you have an upportunity to go to IS do not miss the chance! It;s going to be the best thing in your life. EYP is more than debating, its more than just solving problems. Trust me on this I have been to eight EYP sessions as a delegate and as an official.

God, I got so excited when I saw this discussion on the homepage. If you have any questions about EYP feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to answer.

:blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

• Like 1

I am doing IB and I am in EYP!!! I am so glad that you guys are also fellow EYPers. EYP is my life! I have been to an international session, and I am going to another one this summer (Barcelona).

EYP is so much more that just European Youth Parliament it's a way of life. Trust me if you have an upportunity to go to IS do not miss the chance! It;s going to be the best thing in your life. EYP is more than debating, its more than just solving problems. Trust me on this I have been to eight EYP sessions as a delegate and as an official.

God, I got so excited when I saw this discussion on the homepage. If you have any questions about EYP feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to answer.

:blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Which IS have you been to? I've been to Amsterdam and Zurich. :)

I

I have been to Tbilisi 74th IS, and I am going to Barcelona . Hey I know some people from Zurich IS, mainly the organizers of the IS :))

I

I have been to Tbilisi 74th IS, and I am going to Barcelona . Hey I know some people from Zurich IS, mainly the organizers of the IS :))

I haven't really spoken with the orgas there, so can't really say I know them, just their faces. :) Was Tbilisi fun?

So much fun! We were staying at a resrot near the lake and every night some people would illegally swim, and then we had a party at this awesome club with the view on the whole city. and GA was actually good and I got to speak on the behalf of the Georgian delegation at the opening ceremony. I can imagine that Amsterdam was a lot of fun? an Zurich?

I am so glad that IB kids are participating in EYP :dj::love:

• Like 1