Biology EE ideas: Amylase activity?

cookie.dough.love

You dont have to do your EE on something you want to do in university. But if you want, you have to decide in what section exactly. There are a lot of sections in medicine in terms of EE topics. You have to think about what you want to investigate exactly, a treatment, an illness, an effect of X on this illness, an effect of a certain treatment on the patient..etc. Also, you have to remember that this will probably go under Biology section, in which case you're going to have to be very very careful with the criteria and make sure your EE still looks like a biology EE. In other words, it should be something you can experiment in the lab.

You still have no clue, so you have start with a mind map. Put all the ideas you have and start crossing out the ones that aren't suitable for a biology EE.

• Like 1

This seems more IA level to me. As it is an extended essay, you should consider something a bit more advanced with a real world application (e.g. to an environment) yet not something that is overly complicated. I suggest that you do a bit more research into topics that you are interested in as you're going to be working on your essay for a while (so you can connect with your topic and you're markers can see that you have a lot of knowledge about the topic). I would also suggest looking into current problems in society which are related to biology and something that is not overly researched. Read the EE guide (subject specific), it will help a lot! :)

• Like 3

You can use this as the base. In other words, think about the possibility of putting the "effect of temperature on amylase activity" into something more scientific. This is not something you can use, but just to get my point across: For example something about how when you have fever, or your body temperature is too high, the speed at which you get your glucose supply is affected. Or the inverse, when you are hypothermic (very low body temperature), like the mountain climbers who got stuck under ice..etc. This is not accurate enough for EE but you get my point about integrating the idea into something scientific.

Also, don't open another thread every time. This will be merged with the other one.