History - The Rural Areas of East Poland in the 40s and 50s

Bartosz jez

Hi,

what do you think about those topics? Are they too broad/narrow?

a) Comparison between the standards of living in the rural areas of Lubelskie county and the city of Lublin in the 1940s and 50s.

b) Social and economical transformation of Poland in 1940s and 50s.

PS Lublin is the capital of Lubelskie county so that the other random factors but the place of livinw are negligible.

PS2 I want so badly to include interview with people living at the time. (All of them were kids at the time and now they're very old, so this may be bias, but a different look)

Edited by Bartosz jez

Your topics are too broad. In addition, they don't really fit into the category of history all that much. The first one seems more related to geography. The second one is very broad; even if you were to focus on either social or economic transformation it's still too broad. Now, if you still want to do Polish history or something related to Lubelskie county/east Poland you can, but you'll need to focus on something else. Were there any major events or people during the 1940s-1950s that you could research? My knowledge on Polish history is quite limited so I can't give you many suggestions on topics, unfortunately, but I can critique your topics. Also, including interviews is a great idea and will give you an excellent primary source or two. :)

• Like 1

Those are better but you'll need to make them more narrow obviously :D

a) This could work but you'll need to focus it. What was the secret police trying to stop? Where were they primarily located? Who were they targeting specifically, just rural inhabitants or a certain group within that? Did they succeed? Why or why not? Just some questions to get you started.

b) This could also work. You should limit your focus to just one or two opposition groups and focus on how they resisted the communist government though. Perhaps you could look at a key leader's role in the resistance movements. Or if there was a major event that happened during the combative resistance you could look at how it succeeded/failed or how important it was in causing something else to happen.

• Like 1

I'd like to specify the RQ more:

a) The resistance of Freedom and Independence against communistic government in the region of Lubelskie county from 1945 till 1953.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_and_Independence

b) Why was the guerilla warfare so long-lasting? (What were the factors causing the guerilla warfare lasting for so long?)

The latter needs modification but I'm just giving a shape :P

Even though the English version was short that was an interesting little article :)

Both are decent and I like both of them. If you were to choose the first one, you could research how successful they were at stopping communism through their activities. If you did the second one, you could pick one or two factors and look into how that caused the warfare to last as long as it did. But not all of them; it'd be too broad if you did, or if you did manage to keep it under 4,000 words it would be superficial. Maybe like the one or two you think are the most important. That's kind of similar to how I did my EE (it was in history too); I chose one factor in Spanish Civil War and analyzed how much it contributed to the fascists' victory.

• Like 1

I like support of the local people more than the dense forestation but that seems fine.

To what extent did the support of the local people help the partisans (are you referring to the WiN or another group?) survive for so long?

Maybe just add a little detail or two, such as a time frame or a location and I think it will be fine.

• 3 months later...