Polish A1 Self-taught - which books?

millie

Hello!

I've just started IB1 and Polish self-taught is one of my subjects.

I have to choose works on my own - however I am completely lost! I know the course changed this year (for IBs who take their exams in may 2013).

And here goes my question: does anybody here have Polish self-taught and would like to share with me which works he/she has chosen?

Thank you in advance! :hug:

Edited by millie

Gosh, ofc I meant lectures!

I created this thread before I drank my morning coffee, so please forgive me :)

Let me rephrase it then: let's substitute 'books' with the word 'works'

:):sweat:

In the Polish A1 HL course I have 3 books for presentation then 3 books for written comment and I think 3 or 4 more for the next oral comment, but I am not sure about the last one. If you want I can share the titles.

Yes please! Sharing is caring ;)

Sorry for Polish translation in titles but it might help:

-for presentation: "Konopielka", "Panny z Wilka", "Pani Bovary"

-for writting assesment: "Dżuma", "Zbrodnia i kara", "Wesele". Enjoy!

What levels do you have while doing self-taught? Because if you can, choose A2 or B, A1 is extremely challenging in Polish.

hm... I'm not sure really.

I don't think I can choose betweeen different courses. I really really really want the bilingual diploma, therefore after analyzing all possible combinations I decided to take Polish. (I could have had German instead (but it would never work ;) or Swedish.)

I am Polish and that makes it easier though :D

Thank you sooo much for the titles; I guess I have to take 'Wesele' Wypiańskiego, which I was trying to avoid as much as possible, hehe.

I know the self-taught courses changed this year (for students taking exams in 2013--). I'm not sure which course I have. It is the same as English A2 Lit - which indicates that it is just Literature course, not Lang&Lit.

Gaby, which works do you have in your Polish A1 ?

There is no A1 or A2 anymore, just so you know, it's only A - lang&lit or lit. :) I have lang&lit and, currently, for my IOC (which I have in March and I'm already scared) I have "Inny świat" by Gustaw Helrling-Grudziński and all the trens (I have no idea how to translate it) by my beloved Jan Kochanowski (I've hated him since primary school). And that's about all. I'm not sure what we'll be doing in the 2nd term, I can ask my teacher, if you want. :)

Gaby - but we can say that A1 is more like Lit and A2 is more like Lit&Lang. Thats how it more and less is.

Yeah, ok, I agree with that, but naming the languages 1 and 2 implicates that lang 2 is not one's native tongue, as it used to be, whereas it does not necessarily apply to people taking A lang and lit. :) Though yes, we can distinguish them by calling them A1 and A2.

well, I guess I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the IB.

I think I have a Lit course then. :)

For my Polish I need to have 10 works in total:

- 2 works as Part 1 'Works in translation' (for written assingment) - I can choose non-Polish authors

- 2 works as Part 2 'Detailed study' (oral commentary on an extract) - Polish authors, each of a different genre

- 3 works as Part 3 'Literary genres' (written essay) - Polish authors, each work of the same genre

- 3 works as Part 4 'Options' (oral presentation on 2 of them) - For self-taught I have to choose option 1: Autobiography.

And not to mention all of the works have to be chosen according to the PLA (Prescribed list of authors).

Once I've decided which works to analyze, I will probably post my list here. Maybe someone else also has the same problem as me :)

You should check out the list of books from which you can choose the titles.

For the OP I'm gonna have now

some poems by Leśmian

"Jądro ciemności" Conrada

"Ferdydurke" Gombrowicza

And from December/January WL which will be

"Mistrz i Małgorzata" and "Pani Bovary".

For next year I didn't really write them down :P. But I remember for sure that we have "Wesele" by Wyspiański.

For now, I could offer some of my notes if you choose any of those I'm gonna have ;).

I warn you - it could be easier choosing Swedish, cause Polish examinators tend to be really strict ;).

I warn you - it could be easier choosing Swedish, cause Polish examinators tend to be really strict ;).

Especially since they tend to apply some crazy rules from Matura to IB papers which is seriously mad. I've also heard that there are some examiners that expect us to give some uber-elaborate literary analysis, but I don't know how much of it is true. :)